Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bug In or OUT Your response times matter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Bug In or out , your response times matter.
Think about it, we nearly all have well sorted INCH, BOB or GHBs and plans on what to do it the balloon goes up, but have you considered your RESPONSE times in relation to Getting Out Of Town / Getting home/ Evacuating in the context of what everyone else is doing at the same time.
Lets consider a few examples of thev worst kind first before looking at more likely issues.
1 Cascadia / San Andreas. If you live close to the coast you could have as little as five minutes to react to a tsunami hitting places like Coastal Oregon / Washington and an average of roughly 12 to 25 minutes in So Cal. But remember the footage from Anchorage in the 60s when the same fault let rip, the first thing that went out was the bridges and roads as huge landslides blocked roads, bridges collapsed and in places roads split and rose or fell by 30 meters so you need to explore all options including such things as heading to the upper floors of tower blocks and Multi story Car Parks insead of joining the masses running away from the sea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake
2 Depending where you live if the Volcano on Gran Canaria erupted and that huge chunk of mountainside fell into the ocean you could have up to 3 hours to get out to safety in Northern Europe and FIVE hours on the East Coast of the US, but consider the blind panic as New York, Boston etc Galeston, New Orleans, Miami and the Keys etc all tried to get inland in five hours ?. During H Andrew when the target area had DAYS of warning many left it late to move to safer ground inland, Gridlock ensued and one well documented Prepper families efforts were for nothing. They left 12 hours before the storm was due to hit in a fully prepped BOV with full tanks and extra jerry cans, but because of the huge volume of traffic they found themselves crawling along at 5 MPH for 14 hours and ran out of fuel in the middle of nowheresville Georgie. Imagine all of the lowlanders of SE England trying to head west and north in a blind panic with the news that the tsunami is only 3 hours away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew
3 Slipping down the scale of dramitic effect a bit if we had another perfect storm of the type that caused so much damage to the east coast in 1953 where nearly 3000 Brits and Dutch drowned often in their homes. Today sea levels are higher, population density is FAR higher today and only certain key coastal and riverine defences like the Thames barrier are fully maintained. Another storm like the 1953 storm if it broke through the defences could kill upwards of 50,000 people and deluge much of London and the area arounds the Thames Delta. Can you imagine 9.3 million Londoners trying to leave the area in a hurry and most would not try to get out until the barriers started to fail. Only ONE van leaking diesel in the Blackhall tunnel this week during rush hour caused traffic jams over 10 miles long and delays of up to 5 hours across a huge area, so a couple of minor crashes, people running out of fuel etc and hundreds of thousands will be stranded with no room for manouvre. Oh and in 1953 we still have a huge CIVIL DEFENCE program of eqiupment and staff to help rescue efforts ALL now long disbanded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953
4 So imagine a Spanish flu outbreal like the one in 1918 hitting London, crippling essential services https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic or an EMP or Carrington event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859 hitting the country and suddenly the power is gone, not only have your cities lost their electricity but their street lights, traffic lights, cell phones, land lines, refridgeration, tube trains, trams, water , gas and sewage supplies, check out tills and credit card readers, cash points, lifts, flood barriers power to houses and shops. Imagine the Carrington event happening in a bad winter?
In 2016 it could just as easily be a combined Terrorist attack on the power and telecoms networks by returning Jidhadis the government welcomed back to the UK. It could be even very large and widespread mass industrial action that inadvertantly gets out of hand and society fails to recover quickly from it.
It could even be the arrival of MILLIONS of desperate migrants overwhelming the authorities and pouring into the UK in huge numbers collapsing our entire social welfare infrastructure and looting, stealing and rioting. The French are likely to give a huge moving mass of migrants free passage to Calais rather than confront them.
Imagine any given scenario where you need to get home QUICK or bug out QUICK I am sure most if not all of us have our plans in place regardless of how minor, melodramatic or massive they are, but have you considered all the potential obsticles in your way from blocked roads, refugees, road blocks, strikers, terrorist activity, riots by migrants creating no go areas, collapsed bridges, traffic jams, YOUR vehicle breaking down AND the realisation that your alloted times for getting out of town turn out to be far shorter than you planned for. Consider Alternative routes, Consider alternative responses, Consider the suitability of your current kit to deal with varying situatons and far shorter reaction times.
Oh and never forget its the preppers who are best informed who can react quickly to take advantage of the various APPS and Tickers you can get for your PCs and Cell phones that instantly send breaking news to you as it happens.
BHC and I are looking at a new BOL this weekend. If we like it, we'll pay cash for it. It's 2 1/2 hours and 1/2 tank of gas from our home. I figure that in an emergency we can be packed up and out of here in 3 hours, but we plan to preposition gear and supplies at the new spot so if we have to run out of here "naked", we can do so.

More info to come next week!
My new bug out/bug in will be in New Zealand, plenty of space out there, the UK is too cramped.
Yea, but you are not there yet.
By the end of 2017 I will Smile At the moment bug out or bug in depends on whats happening.
My plan was to retire permanently to my bugout location, which I did in 2011.

If I must leave my primary residence for a local emergency, my alternate plan is to move in with a neighbor about 8 miles away, where I have pre-positioned equipment and supplies. He has done the same thing at my place.

If the region where we are is unsafe, an alternate location is with a relative about 100 miles farther away from the city, where I also have equipment and supplies stored. The farm would support an extended family group and did until 1940.

Locations are planned to be able to walk to the nearby refuge if necessary and bike to the farther away one if I must leave the Jeep or other vehicle behind.

PACE planning with Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency routings, pre-positioned caches at likely rest stops or overnight hide locations have been scouted and tested. Avoiding heavily travelled roads, having discreet overland routes with water sources, etc. identified.
Looks like your planning is good CH, mine is more fluid in that I have friends I can go to and visa versa although I believe I carry more food stocks for now, they are all ex army, true friends, and we make a resourceful little band.
We have it! We will start prepositioning stuff in a week or so!
(5 September 2016, 14:10)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]BHC and I are looking at a new BOL this weekend. If we like it, we'll pay cash for it. It's 2 1/2 hours and 1/2 tank of gas from our home. I figure that in an emergency we can be packed up and out of here in 3 hours, but we plan to preposition gear and supplies at the new spot so if we have to run out of here "naked", we can do so.

More info to come next week!

Congratulations on your new BOL!

Now we shall make a deal.

Since you and the BHC are into your 70s I propose that when moving from one location to the other you keep your clothes on. No one wants to see that!
Nice one Jonas, well done and good luck with the planning mate.
Pages: 1 2