Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Torch advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I need a new edc torch. I recall probably 2 years ago someone recommended a Chinese copy of a decent torch. Probably a fenix I don't recall.

Anyone have any suggestions for around £20-30?

Cheers
Just type in cree on an ebay search. When cree emitter technology was new, the likes of Fenix could almost justify the high prices they charged, these days cree torches are so cheap you can buy a few. I picked up 5 small cree torches for £11 delivered, they run on a single 'AA' battery. Even Tesco are selling instore some good solid Cree's for £15.

Just spotted these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Flashligh...SwDNdVpjAF same as the ones I got but a quid cheaper. At that price you can have one in your coat, leave one in the car, kitchen etc

I've tried to standardize the batteries I use to 'AA' and 'AAA' and use Sanyo Eneloop batteries, these are as good as you get, they arrive charged and will hold their charge for about a year so no problem leaving a torch in a drawer and finding a flat battery when you need it. Sticking with one or two battery types makes recharging and re sourcing simpler IMHO.
I've had (still have) loads of cheap Chinese cree torches and I keep them in each of my cars and bags etc, they are good, but there is only ever one torch that I make sure is always in my pocket when I get up in the morning:

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=7233

I've been using it for 2 years now, day in, day out and whereas many cheap torches have come and gone (out!), the Fenix is still going as strong as the day I bought it. Cheap is not always better!

Spend a little more and you'll not regret it.
Maybe have a look at the Fenix E12, which is in your price range and fits your needs:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-T...x-E12.html
I was just forced to throw away an old standby, an EverReady Roughneck in AA size.

I paid $5 for it back in January 1996. It has been on every camping trip since its purchase, and through that period I was camping a lot with as much as 30% of my weekends in camp for a decade of that time.

It's switch finally wore away and sadly they do not make that model any longer.

I am replacing it with the tried and true Maglite. They have been in use long enough to trust at this point.
Just got a Cree from my credit card as a freebie, I like it so far but I'm a maglite man and a famous luddite/technophobe to boot , love my old faithful torches but they are pricey in comparison to what is available now
The Fenix E12 is a good EDC light. I still have several of the original CMG Infinity Ultra AA 1w tactical illuminators I use as EDC and the Maratec AAA versions which replaced them. Also a couple Fenix E01s.
For 90% of tasks, a Steamlight Stylus Pro would be perfect. Pen size. AAA battery. Good battery life. Great illumination.

I have personally gone for a larger Olight S20 Baton for day to day use. But when in the office (9 hours a day 5-6 days a week) I have the Steamlight Stylus Pro. I even got the mini version for my wife. To say I use it every couple of days would be about right.
Just finished updating all my torches to LED , final D cell Maglite received its 55 lumen bulb today , my main aim is extended burn time one the cells , hoping for more than double on the ones I have put bigger bulbs in and as much as triple for the ones I've swapped out like for like , I have a number of torches but in the main its mostly Maglite(innova/cree and a couple of cheap wind up Chinese unbranded plus a couple petzl head torches making up the rest) what I have noticed is Niteize kits/bulbs seam to be the superior option to most other stuff out there but sadly not everything is as described when it arrives from fleabay the genuine stuff comes in blister packs and the copies don't , have a cheap 3 led bulb and a knock off on/off end cap I'm not to impressed with on one mini but everything else now passes muster , Philips do a bulb 50 lumen that fits the triple a Maglite that works well but no on/of end cap available for this torch Sad (doesn't fit the solitaire but then that is a Maglite not really worth bothering with) another point worth considering with the D cell torches is they make a handy baton should investigating that 3am noise cut up rough, and it was brought along as a torch with no malice of forethought.
(2 October 2016, 08:28)harrypalmer Wrote: [ -> ]Just spotted these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Flashligh...SwDNdVpjAF

I bought these, waited a few days and was excited to get the parcel. Thought it was a funny shape for torches. Opened it and it appeared to be some Christmas lights. They'd obviously made a shipping mistake in "Glasgow". Currently emailing the seller. He's clearly based in china and has an office or something in Scotland so he can claim UK Stock. Doesn't have any torches left, but says I can keep the Christmas lights and hell refund 10%.

I thought the situation was amusing.

When the world goes top shit and its dark, Im just glad I have my EDC Chinese brandless Christmas lights with 3 blinking modes that I'm too scared to even bother plugging in in case they burn down my house in my go bag.
Pages: 1 2 3