Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Merck Manual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Santa Claus heard me (or at least Mrs. Claus did), and I got a new Merck Manual to replace my 35 year old edition. It's a bit pricey at almost $60, but if you have a GOOD medical background, this could be your own "Web MD" when the grid crashes as TSHTF. ~ "The Merck Manual, Jul 20, 2011 by Robert S. Porter" ~

For those out there who aren't licensed medical professionals or who don't want to read "medical-ese", Merck has come out with a family edition, ~ "The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook Paperback – October 1, 2011" ~ in paperback for $17.

Here' the "blurb":
"Now in paperback—the most comprehensive home health reference bestseller
Millions of people around the world have relied on The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook for quick access to authoritative, accessible health information. Written by more than 300 internationally respected medical experts, this comprehensive medical resource features extensive, up-to-date coverage of health care for newborns, the elderly, and everyone in between.

"Contains reliable, up-to-date information on a broad range of medical conditions, illnesses, and situations, including accidents and injuries, aging, cancer, diabetes, digestive disorders, heart disease, mental health disorders, and many others
Covers men's, women's, pediatric (both newborns and older children), and geriatric health issues

"Well organized and extensively indexed to make information easy to find
An extraordinary bargain at a penny a page

"The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook is filled with essential medical information that’s both easy to find and easy to understand in order to help you communicate more effectively with your doctor, understand a diagnosis or treatment option, or simply know more about your health and the health of those you care about."

There is also a "Veterinary Manual" which is quite technical, and a "Pet Health" manual for the non-professionals. You'll need some of these references when the world situation enters "crisis mode".
Sounds like a worthwhile volume to add and place next to my copy of the Ship's Medicine Chest and Medical Aid At Sea...
Thanks JP - the amateurs version looks like a very valuable addition to any preppers library. I'll put it to the top of my list.

(I feel as though I may be beginning to emerge from that 'deep, dark place'. Hope we might still be able to have comms...GG)