Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Boy Scouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is scouting still alive in GB?
Yes MB very much alive and kicking ....just in a five mile radius from where i sit there are ten groups,.......at least there are a few parents that have some common sense left ....the costs for uniforms inhibit a lot from joining (as it did my parents back in the day ) but still cheaper than a XBOX IMHO it should be part of educating our young (compulsory) skills they teach will last a lifetime and serve well in a practical everyday way ........the more i see the world going ....the more and greater need for the BOY SCOUTS plus the added bonus of some discipline............All Xboxes should be shoot on sight ! .
shot you silly boy !.
yes my youngest still goes but at 16 is getting a bit board with it now
(19 January 2017, 21:53)Stewart Wrote: [ -> ]yes my youngest still goes but at 16 is getting a bit board with it now

Sounds like the leadership needs to step up and lend some guidance and fresh ideas.

Kids that age do get bored quickly and keeping them active is the only solution to them seeking out their own activities, which we sometimes do not approve.
Talking today with one of my friends .....mobile phones , Xboxes, and computers was a topic that came up.....i start my reply all Xboxes should be shot ....along with mobile phones ....stopped short on computers though, i view them in a educational light but with restrictions on the obvious ......"thing is SS most everything is now done on computers,tablets and smart phones, it is near impossible to live without this interface.....paying bills,tax returns, .....all medical records are kept on computers " and so on .....boys would rather play a game console than go off walking on even just going outside and having a kick about....although i have strayed off topic MB ....things WE would and used to do when we were young have dramatically changed with the rise of a computerised world ...so advanced there is now digital money ....soon no cash will be required ? ........interest in the outdoors , learning knots,lighting a fire and so many other useful life skills could be lost to a computer programmer ......to most parents i have come across lately game consoles set them Free from their responsibility it keeps the kids quite while they pursue Their interests ....they justify this by saying (all the kids have them....they will be left out see ) Back to BOY SCOUTS .....truth is MB the organisation has to compete not only with new technology but also parents that cannot be arsed to put a bit time and effort into the upbringing of their children especially if it clashes to much with their my time . Surely there can be a marriage of the outdoor pursuits and a game console ?.....but mainly outdoors ....not that i hold bias .
My family was outdoor oriented. We camped, hiked, sometimes just spent the evening around the fire pit in the back garden.

For us a camping trip was not a year in planning. We would decide on Thursday night we wanted a trip, throw the gear into the truck, empty the fridge into the cooler and an hour after work on Friday were were in the woods.

We did it so much we had two check lists on the wall of the garage, a weekend check list and a long camp check list. Take the items off the shelves and mark them off as they were loaded.

I was also a hunter and fisherman, along with being a blacksmith for the local colonial village museum. My son started working metal in the forge at 14. I never had to wonder what he was up too, I could always hear hi out in the shop hammering on something.

The result was no bored down time as a kid and a degree in Archaeology to keep him busy as an adult.
(20 January 2017, 15:21)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]
(19 January 2017, 21:53)Stewart Wrote: [ -> ]yes my youngest still goes but at 16 is getting a bit board with it now

Sounds like the leadership needs to step up and lend some guidance and fresh ideas.

Kids that age do get bored quickly and keeping them active is the only solution to them seeking out their own activities, which we sometimes do not approve.

The problem is he has discovered the opposite sex
It is still here but not as you guys may know. I looked into it recently as I was considering becoming an instructor but what I found wasn't all that great. They seem to be pulling back from the fieldcraft and character building stuff and more towards being a generic activity group.
Although there is still a real Scouting group in Britain that values the old ways. Not in Scotland though Sad
I was never in the scouts but I was in the Army Cadets for a few years. Taught me discipline and self respect and was good fun.

http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/32324.aspx
Pages: 1 2