Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Essential Bushcraft Skills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(20 January 2012, 13:24)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Funny that I see bushcraft as less important. 99,99% of us are never far from civilisation and after an event there will be plenty of empty houses. Fill with dry wood and you can keep yourself warm. Navigation is fine but an AA map is better than moss on a tree and you can follow alongside the roads if you don't want to walk on them.

Collecting water is fine as well as identyfying food from the wild.

If I was prioritising that is what I would look at first.

I'm with SD on this oneTongue like he says there will be plenty of empty houses, anyone who thinks they can do a Rambo( or even a Ray Mears) in the woods, isnt going to survive the first cold winter,what i think will be more important is wild food identification and knowing what wood burns best, also where and how you can obtain fresh water.
Yes Bushcraft is only useful if you have a long way to travel to your Bugout. Do not try to live off the land indefinitely. Unless you are a true pioneer you will not survive. Kenneth Eames.
(12 February 2012, 07:55)Kenneth Eames Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Bushcraft is only useful if you have a long way to travel to your Bugout. Do not try to live off the land indefinitely. Unless you are a true pioneer you will not survive. Kenneth Eames.

I think ownly too recently that has been highlighted with the death of someone trying that.
The poor fellow died on Rannoch Moor and in a Bothy. When temperatures drop below freezing that is when the trouble begins. A week or two Camping is one thing but four or five months in winter conditions will soon lower the bodies resistance. Kenneth Eames.
(11 February 2012, 18:11)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(20 January 2012, 13:24)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Funny that I see bushcraft as less important. 99,99% of us are never far from civilisation and after an event there will be plenty of empty houses. Fill with dry wood and you can keep yourself warm. Navigation is fine but an AA map is better than moss on a tree and you can follow alongside the roads if you don't want to walk on them.

Collecting water is fine as well as identyfying food from the wild.

If I was prioritising that is what I would look at first.

I'm with SD on this oneTongue like he says there will be plenty of empty houses, anyone who thinks they can do a Rambo( or even a Ray Mears) in the woods, isnt going to survive the first cold winter,what i think will be more important is wild food identification and knowing what wood burns best, also where and how you can obtain fresh water.

Agreed..
bushcraft skills are being lost but thanks to the like's of ray mears woody and all the other instructors in this field are helping to keep this craft alive
it is very rewarding lighting a fire with no matches and building a shelter with what is around u and useing natural cordage that keeps u dry and warm and just a small candle to raise the temp up a degree or two you will never no when you will need these skills there is also the medical side with plants medicines are not going to last forever
it is an on going learning curve i totally agree with that and i have forgotten alot and yes i have been on some of rays courses and they are xpensive( but i had money then lol)
at the end of the day it is another form of prepping

thanks b/d
I prefer the old instructors like Eddie Mcgee, Lofty Wiseman etc to Mears and Grills, but I'm old and biased.
(1 March 2012, 09:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer the old instructors like Eddie Mcgee, Lofty Wiseman etc to Mears and Grills, but I'm old and biased.

Grylls all the way! The man is a legend.

He's one of the people that inspires me to work more on my long range fitness. Having said that, he isn't a pioneer. Bear is a survivor. His job is to get out and find civilization. He's not going to strip down into his boxers, pick up a knife, then walk into the woods and come back a year later, like Tom Brown. That man is 100% pioneer/legend/survivor!!!
Some of the guys who I served with like to watchg Grills and Mears they think they are a comedy duo Smile. There favourite is always that bit where Mears is in Canada and he says " Right we have an 8 hour walk through this forest to reach some local experts who are going to show me how to buiuld a native canoe" Then you see him pick up his pack and walk off into the woods. Next clip shows him coming out of the woods to meet the canoe makers and he is immaculate and his boots spotless!!!!! 8 hours through Canadian Pacific coast forest and comes outs looking brand new ,,,,,, I dont think sooooooo Tongue

And one of em cant remember which was caught out staying in a 4 star hotel when he was supposed to be roughing it.
Personally the greatest TV survival expert I admire the most is Major Les Hiddins the Bush Tucker man. A real hero and expert.
get your self a good airgun mate shot your self some meat palSmile
Pages: 1 2 3