Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Quaility and price go hand in hand
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a connection between price and quaility?.

I will give you an example of something i found out.

I was looking at buying a large salt fly reel the ownly place to get it was the US. In the end i narrowed it down to 2 one was priced at $299 and the other priced at $699. Both had the features i was looking for. It seemed did i want to pay $699 for a well known brand with a repution or $299 for a reel from what was to me an unknown "manufacture".
So i did a little digging around i found a "Chinese" Manufacture making these reels. I e-mailed them about the reels and was told i could buy 50 reels for $50 each and i could have them laser etched for an extra $5 each. Now this is the thing that shocked me both of the reels i was thinking about buying were both supplied by this Chinese company and were in fact the same reel.

I feel that this is the same with most things we are buying. I got 2 summer tesco own brand sleeping bags 18 months i think i payed £17 ea for them. Ive had no problem and im thinking of buy 2 winter bags that can go down to -18 for £26 each.

I will let you draw your own conclusions from this.
very little is actually produced in this country anymore, we are better known for our service and financial sectors, you look on most of what you buy these days and i bet 95% of it is stamped"Made in China"!.
The mark-up on goods of any kind is astronomical in this country. We are the dearest in the Western world for most things. yes, governments are greedy for the tax but the shop keepers are just as greedy too often with a 100% pure profit mark-up or more!.
I came across a steak pie the other week at a trendy "farm shop" in Cheshire that was £20! I make my own "game" pies for next to nothing. It is the same with any commodity here. Rip off Britain! Another example was when I wanted to purchase a air rifle a few years ago and was told that I would have to pay "Import duty" on the damned thing. It was coming from Italy....EU NO IMPORT duty! When I pointed this out to the dealer he put the phone down on me. Money grabbing b******s!
Joe.
i agree i try to make sausages and burgers when ever i can and also game pies and bread etc some people just dont realise these things are near enough the same just no price tag on mine and i know wots in them Smile

b/d
thats why for many years now we have bought all our meat from reputable farm shops where we know the quality is good.
We get all of our meat direct from local small holders that we know
(24 January 2012, 18:39)uks Wrote: [ -> ]We get all of our meat direct from local small holders that we know
havent been able to contact many small holders yet, although we get pork from a smallholder with a farm shop, we get mutton from a reliable farm shop in our nearest large town(wife knows the family) and beef from one a mile up the road, we get sausages from a local market and free range chickens from another.
(24 January 2012, 09:25)uks Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a connection between price and quaility?.

I will give you an example of something i found out.

I was looking at buying a large salt fly reel the ownly place to get it was the US. In the end i narrowed it down to 2 one was priced at $299 and the other priced at $699. Both had the features i was looking for. It seemed did i want to pay $699 for a well known brand with a repution or $299 for a reel from what was to me an unknown "manufacture".
So i did a little digging around i found a "Chinese" Manufacture making these reels. I e-mailed them about the reels and was told i could buy 50 reels for $50 each and i could have them laser etched for an extra $5 each. Now this is the thing that shocked me both of the reels i was thinking about buying were both supplied by this Chinese company and were in fact the same reel.

I feel that this is the same with most things we are buying. I got 2 summer tesco own brand sleeping bags 18 months i think i payed £17 ea for them. Ive had no problem and im thinking of buy 2 winter bags that can go down to -18 for £26 each.

I will let you draw your own conclusions from this.

Totally agree. I have cut out buying Chinese crap allround and try to get my friends to do the same. I am not supporting the Chinese economic warfare against the West or the greedy western companies that profiteer it on. most of it is junk anyway and won't last. there is some good stuff coming out of China, but you can never be sure which bit of kit is and which isn't and anyway the quality varies over time, usually degrading. I have researched pricing quite a bit and have found very roughly these price bands for new retail stuff.
1) Cheap chinese crap
2) not quite as cheap chinese crap
3) Made in HongKong (cough cough China, ahem cough cough) slightly less cheap again (oh yes - crap)
4)Dearer chinese stuff passed off in clever advertising as western or packaged in Western factories(v.common) - mediocre to crap..
5) mid priced western branded goods that are also of middling quality (usually full of chinese components)
6)mid priced little known small scale branded by manufacturer western goods of quality
7)Expensive pay through the nose branded Western goods of quality

I do my research and try to aim for level 6. That way I am not wasting my money and the kit will perform as intended without the fashion branding hefty price tag. I learnt that Chinese crap is just that and dosn't last a fig..
[[/quote]
havent been able to contact many small holders yet, although we get pork from a smallholder with a farm shop, we get mutton from a reliable farm shop in our nearest large town(wife knows the family) and beef from one a mile up the road, we get sausages from a local market and free range chickens from another.

[/quote]

Try contacting these 2 groups in devon and cornwall you maybe able to get some contacts there.
http://cornwallsmallholders.com/Welcome.html
http://www.devonsmallholders.co.uk/

Hope this helps