Survival UK Forums

Full Version: First aid hollywood style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sure we can be thankful to hollywood for giving us great medical advice, for example if a bear mauls our throat like in 'The Revenant' we can simply pack gunpowder into the wound and ignite it to cauterise it, a nice clean job..Smile

[Image: rev-1.jpg]
never base our personal survival on fiction, be it films or books.
(8 February 2021, 10:58)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]never base our personal survival on fiction, be it films or books.

Between you and me mate, I dream of staggering into Dr. Quinn's surgery with a rattler bite to my calf and she has to suck out the venom, then sit up with me all night dabbing my fevered brow as i toss and turn in delirium while whispering in my ear "Hang in there Micky baby, we'll ride this thing out together"..
(oops sorry was I rambling?)

[Image: quinn-bite.jpg]
fiction again, your quote "daydreaming" is correct.
nothing beats personal skills and knowledge.
Do not trust your life and those of your mates to fictional mythology and folklore.

Instead look at how military combat medics and wilderness SAR operators and EMTs are taught:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019...ourse.html
20 Dec 2019
Military.com | By Dorothy Mills-Gregg

A new first-response training that would teach service members how to provide time-sensitive medical care in the field is being tested and is expected to go for Pentagon review later this month, the Army announced this month.

The course, called Tier 2 Tactical Combat Casualty Care, would replace the Army's standard combat lifesaver training and would take into account lessons learned during the almost 20 years of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. If approved, the weeklong curriculum would be standardized across all services and feature updates emphasizing the medical skills that tend to be most in demand on today's battlefields. Among them: tourniquet and bandage application and removing airway blockages, officials said in a release.

Tier 2 is part of the four-tiered Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TC3) curriculum the Pentagon required the armed forces to create. All non-medical service members currently receive training at the most basic level of TC3 in a one-day classroom course. The curriculum goes up to Tier 4, which is training for special operations medics, physicians and physician assistants.

The new curriculum is being developed with insights from data collected by the 75th Ranger Regiment. Miles said the elite unit had compiled a "massive database" that showed the benefits of training non-medic members in combat.

"What we've really learned from that database is that it's the person next to you that's gonna save your life," Miles said in the release. "We saw a huge amount of these skills being put to use by non-medical personnel."

Army Staff Sgt. Felicia Simpson, who had been a combat medic in Afghanistan and is currently a senior instructor with the 198th Infantry Brigade's First Aid Committee, said this course will improve the care combat medics can provide.

https://deployedmedicine.com/market/193

This collection contains the standardized Tactical Combat Casualty Care Combat Lifesavers Course (TCCC CLS) curriculum developed by the Joint Trauma System, part of the Defense Health Agency. This course is intended to provide an intermediate step between the TCCC All Service Members Course (ASM) taught to all enlisted personnel and the advanced life support skills taught to Combat Medics and Corpsman. The idea is to ensure that in the absence of a combat medic or corpsman, the CLS will be able to replicate some (though not all) of the techniques for their squad until the patient(s) can be evacuated to definitive care (i.e. an aid station or field hospital) or a medic arrives to take over. There are several types of learning assets contained in this collection which are arranged by channels. Feel free to make use of these materials for both formal and informal learning. For example, these resources can be used in the following ways:

as a stand-alone course or woven into an existing course
hip pocket or spontaneous training outside a formal course
on the job performance support while in the field
Trainers should consider referring students to this collection for preview of materials ahead of the course, for use during the course as a training aid, or after the course ends for continuing reference and skills sustainment.

Instructions for Trainers: There are two options for accessing and downloading training materials. Each asset on the channel can be viewed and downloaded individually. In addition, materials can be downloaded as a single zipped file using the Download Course button below. This is a very large file, so allow ample time for download. Materials are offered in digital and print-ready file formats for local use and reproduction. Select files can also be edited to adapt to your Service and unit-specific needs. For questions concerning TCCC training standards or this curriculum, and to provide feedback about training needs/outcomes, contact the Joint Trauma Education and Training Branch (JTET-B) at TCCCCLS@deployedmedicine.com.
take a first aid course instead.
I thought Mick had been abducted by aliens and being held in this huge hologram country house ? .......so. Did they have a tit full of him and send him back ? ........Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo !
(31 March 2021, 17:03)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Mick had been abducted by aliens and being held in this huge hologram country house ? .......so. Did they have a tit full of him and send him back ? ........Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

I thought he’d cauterised his haemorrhoids with gunpowder, and launched himself into orbit Smile
That gunpowder going of in that area might induce a huge fart that would act as a booster rocket!!!

A man could go far with the proper self medication.
Do you folks get The Simpsons over there?

This thread is beginning to take a Bart and Homer orientation.
Pages: 1 2