Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Price Increase 2021
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So at the moment we are seeing increased energy prices (Uk) and a massive increase in shipping costs (Global), this could have a combined effect of pushing up all prices by a large margin. I suspect 2021/2022 could get interesting.
Personally I have started to decrease outgoings and try to increase savings as I anticipate a few hard years ahead, additionally I am also looking at other money streams.
So has anyone else got this on their radar ?
Yep. Been shopping this morning and a lot of the items have increased prices. Not massive - just 20-30p an item, but it does build up, and I suspect we will be seeing further increases, particularly nearer Christmas when people are desperate to make a showing. Not good. Batten down hatches methinks.
Yes prices are going up everywhere and there are no signs of things settling down.

But what with the labour shortages here, the HGV driver shortage, increased shipping costs and delays and manufacturing problems in China due to electricity and labour shortages things won’t get better.

So if you see anything you want or need buy it now, it won’t get cheaper or you won’t be able to get it when you want it. Don’t just put things on a want list for when more cash is available you may be disappointed.

By the way plenty of fuel in the midlands.
I wish people would apply percentages to increases and not “ it’s only gone up by 3 pence “ example long grain rice was 40 p then went up to 45 p ....it’s only 5 p ......no it’s 12.5 % .....now go ask for a pay rise of £5 and see how far you get ! .......I pointed this out months ago......as Pete has pointed out ....if there is anything you NEED you best get it while you still can because within months you will not get it at all........this is NOT panic buying ! This is called common sense and getting prepared .......just be aware of what is going on right in front of you ! Or you will be left behind holding a bag full of regrets .
I have always had a policy of "get it when you see it not when you need it" and " its better on my shelves than theirs".
havent noticed anything in way of price rises but then I havent been anywhere except the local corner shop for a month.
Yes I can agree with that BP and so do I .......thinking ahead is a good way to prepare depending on what you think you are preparing for and how you think things will pan out ......will influence the choices you make ......winter clothing, boots, gloves , seeds , chicken wire , nails , screws , glue , wood , ply sheets , rope , hand tools , there will always be something you wish you had bought after tshtf nobody will have everything ! Basic stuff like food will always be front and centre for most .....how to sustain a food supply by your own means is much more involved and more difficult to achieve as well as going into battle will the weather ....there are no guarantees , hunting game , fishing is good but you could well be in a crowd there .......keeping some chickens / rabbits even fish my be a safer option if you have the room and be proactive not reactive .....on the (news) today there’s talk of pigs being culled , turkeys being short , and cows being removed by aliens ....take my word BP .....it’s ALL going up in price !.
(4 October 2021, 11:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I can agree with that BP and so do I .......thinking ahead is a good way to prepare depending on what you think you are preparing for and how you think things will pan out ......will influence the choices you make ......winter clothing, boots, gloves , seeds , chicken wire , nails , screws , glue , wood , ply sheets , rope , hand tools , there will always be something you wish you had bought after tshtf nobody will have everything ! Basic stuff like food will always be front and centre for most .....how to sustain a food supply by your own means is much more involved and more difficult to achieve as well as going into battle will the weather ....there are no guarantees , hunting game , fishing is good but you could well be in a crowd there .......keeping some chickens / rabbits even fish my be a safer option if you have the room and be proactive not reactive .....on the (news) today there’s talk of pigs being culled , turkeys being short , and cows being removed by aliens ....take my word BP .....it’s ALL going up in price !.
I have no doubt of that SS, I have a stock of most things including clothing, boots, seeds, nails, screws, rope, hand tools, timber, firewood, in fact I have multiples of most things and then some.
havent got into keeping chickens or rabbits yet but that may yet happen.
growing a lot of our own food in the way of fruit and veg, and we check out wild game and foraging spots daily.
if they cull the pigs I wonder if we can get any pork or will it all be buried??
I think for this year the one thing we need to stock up on is money. It’s often overlooked but in reality it’s one of our best preps.
If you are referring to cash Joe , I doubt it will last that long .....maybe good for a few months at best ....but a must have even for such a short time wtshtf .....anything and everything will be up for bartering , people including preppers will want stuff ! To imagine such events is one thing .....to live them will be completely something else I’m sure .
Increase I've noticed are meat products. Lidl corn beef up to £1.65 from £1.45 (up 12%). Asda two pack frying steak up to £3.25 from £2.99 (up 8%). You're quite right to talk in percentages SS.

Joe, my advice is max out as much cash you have now on useful preps, especially food. Remember, money is not wealth, it is a claim on wealth, and that claim is steadily reducing as inflation increases, so make the exchange on that claim now. From previous posts you've made it sounds like you have a reasonable sized rural property. I don't know how much storage space you have, but you should consider using every bit of it you can to store long term foods like the dried stuff, rice, beans etc, and if you eat meat consider dehydrating some or use chest freezers for it.

Also skills are invaluable, so maybe invest in some useful courses in something practical.

I've also been hearing the housing market may crash next year, which might benefit cash buyers, if someone has that much saved up.

All it would take is a more severe vaccine resistant strain of the kung flu this winter, coupled with supply chain problems and they'll be a shortage of almost everything, gawd help us...
Pages: 1 2