Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 29 August 2013

I've got to the stage where I don't know what to get next, or indeed if I should buy anything more. I mean just how far do you go and when do you stop?

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Highlander - 29 August 2013

(29 August 2013, 15:03)BeardyMan Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 14:56)Highlander Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 14:49)BeardyMan Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 14:44)Highlander Wrote: You can use standard freezer bags cant you?

Can't say I've tried normal bags, but I can't see why not. If you get the good ones they should be thick enough.

Those big crisp packets are resealable though, very handy that is Wink

Its just that when I go camping with the dogs [ they are raw fed] I use normal freezer bags to reduce the size of their meat so that it goes into their back packs,... half a chicken or equivalent in Venison at a time

I've been thinking of switching Winston over to a raw food diet. Do you let yours eat all of the chicken bones? Some vets say it's fine, others say it's a big no no. so I have no idea!

All raw bones are good for them, they will come to no harm with any of them, [ wild animals eat all the bones ]... its cooked bones that you must never feed, cooked bones become brittle and stand a good chance of getting stuck in the gut

.... the only raw bone I dont feed,.. [ although you can ] is large weight bearing bones like the hind leg of a cow,... some dogs I have known have chipped teeth on them,.. and they are not a lot of good anyway, because not many dogs can eat one of those

Raw feeding is great for any dog,.. but bear in mind that not every dog gets along with it,...introduce it slowly so as to give the gut time to adjust, and expect a runny bum for a few days,... chicken is good to start with

Most vets agree to the benefits of raw feeding,.. my own vet raw feeds his own dogs,.. but some vets still see bad things with it,..and a few vets promote dried dog food, so will never say raw feeding is good

My dogs have never had dried food, dried food is full of fillers, like wheat and cereal, things that a dog would never eat if it wasn't for man forcing them to

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Steve - 29 August 2013

My dobies have been eating raw meat and bones for years with no problems. I like to freeze rabbits for a week and then thaw them again, it kills the parasites.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 29 August 2013

Cheers HL, all a little bit clearer now.
Have to look into switching muttley over. Gotta be cheaper than £44 a fortnight!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 31 August 2013

Stocked up a big bag of 6.8kg meal replacement powder.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Midnitemo - 31 August 2013

Off out on a recce into Wales for a recce and maybe a pint , spotted a couple of interesting spots on google earth going to cast my beady over them.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 31 August 2013

Just ordered replacement for that which I put away.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Highlander - 31 August 2013

I dug a bloody great hole today,... the footings for my 1kw wind turbine tower

RE: What have done towards your prep? - I-K-E - 31 August 2013

bit more food for the stores (OH picked them up) and done some planning of what I want to achieve over the next couple of years which the OH had a look at and agreed

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tdvsko - 31 August 2013

More dried food and canned food and water for my stores. I am also looking to decide what to learn next.