Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 27 April 2012

Can't wait to read that too.

For some unknown reason, I'm a big fan of pen torches. I have 1 pen torch in every bag that has pen holders haha.

When everyone harps on about Fenix torches, what's the big deal?

Also, how come some torches have a better ability to penetrate the dark while others just become a weak blurry distance image, but illuminate really well in the closer area? I'm looking for the normal answer, as well as the science answer (probably more science to feed the curiosity).

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Nemesis - 27 April 2012

(27 April 2012, 01:04)Scythe13 Wrote: Can't wait to read that too.

For some unknown reason, I'm a big fan of pen torches. I have 1 pen torch in every bag that has pen holders haha.

When everyone harps on about Fenix torches, what's the big deal?

Also, how come some torches have a better ability to penetrate the dark while others just become a weak blurry distance image, but illuminate really well in the closer area? I'm looking for the normal answer, as well as the science answer (probably more science to feed the curiosity).

Hope you keep a torch in your med kit Scythe.

Fenix are great first of all the price is fair unlike many other makes, the build is decent enough and they do chuck out a good beam, but we save that for the torch thread.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 27 April 2012

(27 April 2012, 01:13)WetandCold Wrote: Hope you keep a torch in your med kit Scythe.

I don't actually, but that's a damn good idea!!! Well, I guess my newly found torch can become my medkit torch. I'll add a lanyard and use that to attach it to the FAK. Nice one WnC.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Timelord - 27 April 2012

The focusing issue is down to the reflector degree angle. Different ones are available to a torch builder. look in a Maplins catalogue & there are some listed there. Also the lumen intensity will have a bearing but remember, the narrower the focused beam, the greater the lumen intensity within this beam, so the greater the distance the beam should be thrown. There are losses, so it is not a simple substitute one for another calculation.
Some torches like Maglites have a variable focusing beam which is produced by lengthening or shortening the focul length or the position of the bulb/led inside the cone of the reflector.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - tony - 29 April 2012

joined this forum,planted 4 friut trees ,sorting out the kids bobs,looking at getting a family water filter

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Paul - 29 April 2012

Checked my wind up LED torches yesterday. 1 out of the four was dead.
Changed the battery this morning. All better now.
Sore wrist from cranking them though.
Need cuppa tea!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 11 May 2012

WAHOOO!!! My new toy is here!

As recommended by WnC, I'm now the possessor of the SOL Emergency Bivvy.

Next time I'm out and about, I'll make a review and write up about what I think of it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 11 May 2012

just bought 5 pocket torches...delivered this morning £1.75 each, also got a mini pair of binoculars, got some tyreweld on order.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - 00111001 - 11 May 2012

(11 May 2012, 14:56)bigpaul Wrote: just bought 5 pocket torches...delivered this morning £1.75 each, also got a mini pair of binoculars, got some tyreweld on order.

Make sure you've got a completely flat tyre before you use the tyreweld.

Mine wasn't, I'd actually just tried to re-inflate it. "Stupid!" I hear you say. Yes, indeed. But not as stupid as you look when you have to wander back into Tescos, covered in this manky shit that exploded out the top of the can, to buy another one.

Lesson learned - the hard way Big Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 11 May 2012

(11 May 2012, 15:38)00111001 Wrote:
(11 May 2012, 14:56)bigpaul Wrote: just bought 5 pocket torches...delivered this morning £1.75 each, also got a mini pair of binoculars, got some tyreweld on order.

Make sure you've got a completely flat tyre before you use the tyreweld.

Mine wasn't, I'd actually just tried to re-inflate it. "Stupid!" I hear you say. Yes, indeed. But not as stupid as you look when you have to wander back into Tescos, covered in this manky shit that exploded out the top of the can, to buy another one.

Lesson learned - the hard way Big Grin
could of done with some the other week..now that tyre WAS completely flat, i got some tyreweld for the car..a double pack now sitting in the net inside the car, this other tyreweld i've ordered is some smaller tubes for the new bicycles we bought.