Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 10 March 2015

Yes Mary me to.....cleaned the two greenhouses and sorted the poly tunnel ready to plant up...will clean the pots this weekend....the three raised beds are ready only 8ft x 2 ft got one more to prep thats 26 ft x 2ft 6" still has some leeks in but will clear that this weekend , lots on the go ...its march after all... stripped out old copper boiler ....old fire type.... going to use this to heat both greenhouses ( took this tank boiler out ...off job i did in October ) found it behind the gas fire....i pressure tested it ....its good to go, got loads of 1" steel pipe and fittings enough to do the job....so no excuses ...will get that done when the suns on my back, there is a shed load of stuff to do this year going to post pics of it all ........yeah..chomping at the bit in my head........my body will be along it a bit.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - SecretPrepper - 11 March 2015

Redoing the aquaponics again. Have spent the last few weeks digging a large hole in the ground. Hit rock after rock and the a chalk layer but its finally done.

Have got my seeds in a propagator already

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 18 March 2015

Had some Oak left over from a job...only off cuts, so making some folding Buck saws....turning some handles for my grandfathers draw knife...my prized possession...he made me a boat with this tool when i was six years old ! ...i will use ALL the off cuts!...oh i did a BP today ....driving past a skip in Tredegar.. i spotted some mahogany ....blue smoke stop ! like out of THE SWEENEY... grab in the van job...2 at 5 ft X 7" x 2" ...tried a screech take off....but failed...checked to mirror for about a mile....there is something about grabbing stuff out of skips..a bigger high than a joint .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 19 March 2015

(18 March 2015, 23:24)Straight Shooter Wrote: there is something about grabbing stuff out of skips..a bigger high than a joint .

Come try one of mine Cool

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 27 March 2015

Made a new Atlatl out of Ash, first coat of varnish applied. I will be making the darts tommorow and fitting some Bone points.
Happy daysBig Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 27 March 2015

Made my new carpenters work bench this week....its heavy man ! remember them 8"x 4" x 14 ft timbers i got a while back..? well ..some of them are now my bench....fitted the vice and used a clamp vice off an old portable work bench ...works great ...will shoot up the top surface to get it all true tomorrow then oil it up ..its a solid job, I am pleased with it....UP NEXT .....is the old Lathe that,s been sitting at the back of the workshop for two years... I can run this manual " rope and counterbalance and my foot" or via my Lister D type stationary engine or electric motor.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 6 April 2015

The Lathe is working like a good un making some attachments next day or so to complete it, OH BOY did i get lucky yesterday ! took wifey out for a run to MID WALES passed through a small
small village ..GARTH... a guy had set up a stall outside his house as I drove by spotted some old saws and bits , so I pulled over ....1 American Disston panel saw 1 rip saw 1 log saw 1 Stanley 12" yankie screw driver 1 3/8 maul 1 parring chisel 1/2 1 12" tennon saw 1 stanley plough plain 1 12" slot drive screw driver 1 14" rasp 1 and a oil cooker thrown in £35 the lot ....Disstons are the VERY BEST you can buy just that was worth the money ! I cannot wait to bring them back to parr ....it won,t take much ...they were well looked after by the tradesman who owned them...the guys grandfather, lucky me ! i will treat them with the reverence they deserve .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Steve - 7 April 2015

Good find SS, the Disston will last a lifetime if properly sharpened and set. I have one myself, unfortunately it was used to saw breeze blocks before I got it, but one day I'll fix it up.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 7 April 2015

Don,t want to rub it in Steve But i have a Canadian Disston as well ...the cream ...as for your,s who ever used that for cutting breeze blocks or insulation blocks should be shot in the arms and legs...... while Lazy ..deep purple..... being played in the back ground !

OR bludgeoned to death with an old rusty bolster

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 9 April 2015

The attachments for the lathe are made and working well, refurbishing the pillar drill press next ...only been waiting six years ha ha ...all these things i am doing is in readiness for the move ...I want all the kit ...in situ and ready to rock once its set up ....recently my work ethic has changed... in so far ...its all belt and bracer,s ...i go over the top on everything i do, thinking a lot on hand tools , and their full restoration ...and at the same time looking at solar set ups for the new home....what a contradiction in terms ! ...thermal insulation ! in the walls floor and ceilings of the new home....but an old unassuming look and feel...root cellar....and stuff all churning over in this old head ....but loving it .