Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 October 2015

Its a bit unusual BM....i am digging INTO the bank....sort of coming in from the side.....reason being ......there is another well about 40 ft away at a higher level ..that is covered....i could open it easy but ...off this well is a sump and take off pipe....this pipe is fractured and water pisses out onto the lower drive....so i decided to reroute this damaged pipe ...so i just as well form a new well....so i have found the take off pipe and break i will break into that pipe and redirect the water into a plastic HD drum 45 gal job then redirect the take off pipe....to run a alternator for battery charging ....then send the take off down the bank into a lower stream ....easy job really ....i will either brick up off a concrete found i will form around the bottom of the drum or stonework...then fit a hand cranked syphon pump.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 13 October 2015

(13 October 2015, 19:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: Its a bit unusual BM....i am digging INTO the bank....sort of coming in from the side.....reason being ......there is another well about 40 ft away at a higher level ..that is covered....i could open it easy but ...off this well is a sump and take off pipe....this pipe is fractured and water pisses out onto the lower drive....so i decided to reroute this damaged pipe ...so i just as well form a new well....so i have found the take off pipe and break i will break into that pipe and redirect the water into a plastic HD drum 45 gal job then redirect the take off pipe....to run a alternator for battery charging ....then send the take off down the bank into a lower stream ....easy job really ....i will either brick up off a concrete found i will form around the bottom of the drum or stonework...then fit a hand cranked syphon pump.

Gold star for for sir! That's superb. No chance of anything so cool in the fens, it's all flat you see. So water and hydro power! Sweet. You're lucky enough to be able to drink that without treating too? Not sure if would be wise to do that here, all those vile chemicals leeching into the groundwater. Surrounded by farms.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Steve - 13 October 2015

I wouldn't bother trying to run the alternator, the power generated is too small. I did the sums for my spring, which flows up to 6000 litres per hour in winter.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 October 2015

I will have the water tested FIRST and make sure its safe...my friend will do that for nothing....Steve,s point i must say is very valid and i have NOT done the math but going on steve,s figures i would struggle.....but i did watch on YT a ram system that might be the way to go...hydraulics produces more pressure ...sorry i have no links for you...but check it out folks.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 18 October 2015

Well update......digging away found Y branch in the pipe..great i thought ...disc cut it ....turned into a trickle ....then water pissed out about four foot to the left ...up about four foot...WTF .... i dig down ....another pipe....i follow that down....another Y branch going into the same pipe i just cut but lower down....i dig down and insert the plastic 45 gal drum for the sump and drop the bugger in..i now have to insert land drain pipes ...dig up the lower driveway ...cut through 8 " concrete and lay the underground land drain pipe through to the lower bank....avoiding the mains water supply pipe and the armoured cable supplying the top garage....gets even better ....tipped some die down the IC to double check ....WTF...dye comes pissing out by steps HELLO i thought......i track the digger back up.... over the nice landscaping that i had finished.... stacked up 140 concrete blocks so i could track down to the patio...got down okay ...slabs up and started digging the 18ft run....WTF...found another IC that had been covered over before my time....fault no 1 ....then the new pipe that was put in by a builder in the 80s ....joined to salt glazed pipe with some rope and cement...fault no 2....i rip the lot out back to the main IC....over to WICKS pipe and fittings and do what should have been done in the first place .....back filled the trench......as for running a alternator....forget it ....i can pee faster.....as for well.....watering the poly tunnel only i,m afraid.

I still have the other well for drinking water higher up about 40 ft so not contaminated .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - MaryN - 18 October 2015

When in trouble - stop digging!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 19 October 2015

(18 October 2015, 19:05)Straight Shooter Wrote: Well update......digging away found Y branch in the pipe..great i thought ...disc cut it ....turned into a trickle ....then water pissed out about four foot to the left ...up about four foot...WTF .... i dig down ....another pipe....i follow that down....another Y branch going into the same pipe i just cut but lower down....i dig down and insert the plastic 45 gal drum for the sump and drop the bugger in..i now have to insert land drain pipes ...dig up the lower driveway ...cut through 8 " concrete and lay the underground land drain pipe through to the lower bank....avoiding the mains water supply pipe and the armoured cable supplying the top garage....gets even better ....tipped some die down the IC to double check ....WTF...dye comes pissing out by steps HELLO i thought......i track the digger back up.... over the nice landscaping that i had finished.... stacked up 140 concrete blocks so i could track down to the patio...got down okay ...slabs up and started digging the 18ft run....WTF...found another IC that had been covered over before my time....fault no 1 ....then the new pipe that was put in by a builder in the 80s ....joined to salt glazed pipe with some rope and cement...fault no 2....i rip the lot out back to the main IC....over to WICKS pipe and fittings and do what should have been done in the first place .....back filled the trench......as for running a alternator....forget it ....i can pee faster.....as for well.....watering the poly tunnel only i,m afraid.

I still have the other well for drinking water higher up about 40 ft so not contaminated .

Nice relaxing weekend then buddy? Angel

(18 October 2015, 19:05)Straight Shooter Wrote: Well update......digging away found Y branch in the pipe..great i thought ...disc cut it ....turned into a trickle ....then water pissed out about four foot to the left ...up about four foot...WTF .... i dig down ....another pipe....i follow that down....another Y branch going into the same pipe i just cut but lower down....i dig down and insert the plastic 45 gal drum for the sump and drop the bugger in..i now have to insert land drain pipes ...dig up the lower driveway ...cut through 8 " concrete and lay the underground land drain pipe through to the lower bank....avoiding the mains water supply pipe and the armoured cable supplying the top garage....gets even better ....tipped some die down the IC to double check ....WTF...dye comes pissing out by steps HELLO i thought......i track the digger back up.... over the nice landscaping that i had finished.... stacked up 140 concrete blocks so i could track down to the patio...got down okay ...slabs up and started digging the 18ft run....WTF...found another IC that had been covered over before my time....fault no 1 ....then the new pipe that was put in by a builder in the 80s ....joined to salt glazed pipe with some rope and cement...fault no 2....i rip the lot out back to the main IC....over to WICKS pipe and fittings and do what should have been done in the first place .....back filled the trench......as for running a alternator....forget it ....i can pee faster.....as for well.....watering the poly tunnel only i,m afraid.

Nice relaxing weekend then buddy? Angel

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 20 October 2015

Oh aye BM but did nothing after lunch.....lol

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Steve - 25 October 2015

I've been altering my rotavator to work better with the heavy wet soil at this time of year. It allows up to 6 "L" shaped tines on each of 10 disks, I've taken off all but 2 on each disk except the end ones which I left with 3.

Works a treat, dug some new veg beds on about 1/2 acre of top field.

[Image: 20151025_103435_zps2uctjayx.jpg]

[Image: 20151025_161523_zpslohgslhf.jpg]

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 25 October 2015

Now that is what i call a veggie patch Steve....what you putting in there pal ?