Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 11 January 2017

Amazing efficiency SS.

I thought we were doing well here, but factoring the differences in dwelling volume, yours is costing around half what I'm paying. OK we've been enduring severe minus temperatures for more than a week now, but that doesn't make up for the difference. Looks like you've got it very right indeed.

We're running at .5C indoors too, and with the wood stove running we very often see 30C. The more we insulate and draught exclude the warmer it gets, and coincidentally the more we have to open windows to get combustion air in to the stove. I guess the last part is even more relevant in your new dwelling?

Tell me, what insulation are you using? Glass fiber in the roof I seem to remember. What's in the floor slab and in the walls? Upstairs loft rooms that I was building last year are still not complete. These have 300mm glass fibre under floor, 2000mm. rockwool insulated stud walls separating from unheated attic space and Gable ends and 150mm Kingspan between ceilings and pitched roofing. One of the rooms is now semi-sealed and warmth is detectable in there even though radiators are not yet installed. If I end up with the sort of efficiency you're enjoying, I'll be well pleased.

Another advantage that you have is fuel convenience: Today we went to collect fuel for the next month or so. ( 6mm wood pellets.) This was the first DIY haulage of fuel. Just one pallet was ordered even though our cargo trailer has floor space for two. My god was that a good decision. The one pallet was around 8ft tall and weighed in at around 1.2 tons. First we had to strip of half its height and stow it in the load area of the car, then I had to buy additional ratchet straps to hold it down. Big hills and snow bound roads gave the car good exercise on the way home. And once we got here, frost heave in the ground meant that the yard gates would not open wide enough to let me drive car and trailer in. So me and wife ended up handballing everything off and barrowing it uphill into the yard, before decanting into the fuel store. Your big gas bottles ( bombs as my wife calls them) sound a lot easier to deal with in this respect...and for sure a whole lot lighter.

A final comment on Mirrors: Please advise Mrs SS to have them all removed so that rather than preening himself in front of tem all day, Mr SS will be more inclined to get out in the cold and get that veg garden seen to

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Jonas - 11 January 2017

Heading out tomorrow for a new stash of OTC drugs. We're building a new med bag and it will be completely stocked with at least a year's worth of dressings, bandages, and over-the-counter medications.

Also looking to pick up some new blankets (on sale), new underwear for the Missus (on sale), and a tool kit for the BOL.

New fishing gear arrived for Christmas - now we need a good knife and a pair of needle-nose pliers for the tackle box.

We're counting the days until we can get back to the BOL and finish setting it up the way we want it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 11 January 2017

Jonas, for tackle box gear I recommend stopping by Harbor Freight for the pliers.

The knife is up to you , I am not touching that time bomb of preference.

Or you could stop by Walmart, head for the fishing department, and get pliers and a knife at the same stop, as well as anything else you need at the new digs from Bufferin to bedsheets.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 11 January 2017

Insulation data........Floor on top of the concrete raft 110 mm kingspan 18mm t&g boards 600mm x 2400 mm
......external walls timber studs 140mm ....in between studs 100 mm kingspan internal of stud (inside) 25mm kingspan with 12 mm plasterboard (no cold spots thru stud ) external face of stud ...18 mm os board then breather membrain the 12mm cement board ...then 100 mm insulation ...this was bonded onto the cement board.... then scratch coated (including 100% scrim mesh ) then sub coat 100% then primer coat 100% then top resin coat finish ....Pitched roof (ceiling joists / truss) 100 mm in between joists then 100 mm over the top then 100 mm on top again in the opposite plain. Windows and doors rated A 28mm o/a unit size .....one thing LS the use of 25 mm kingspan on the inner wall face is paramount !!!! this stops any transfer of any cold spots EG studs when fitting stagger (bond the joints ) so that plaster board never lines up with the kingspan joints ........ How did you about my mirror ? spec its you flying that bloody drone...i am shooting the bastard down next time i see it......and before you grass me up on those maid costumes hanging on the line the other day....they are NOT mine .....or even wifeys ....i was simply washing then for a friend and just because i was wearing high heels .....my nice red ones .....means absolutely Nothing.

PS the roof / loft was rock wool !

Sorry guys n gals web address for lpg device is http://www.lpgpl.com my apologies.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 12 January 2017

Thanks for the info SS. Its very encouraging as I'm adopting approx. the same strategy, except for external walls as they are already in place.

The advice about the 5mm Kingspan on the inside to stop cold bridging is well timed. I have actually done exactly this but was not sure if it would be effective. A question though: Our final layer on the room side will be T&G paneling, is it essential to tape the joints between the 5mm boards before I apply the paneling or will they OK as are?

PS don't worry about the drone.... the images we collected were way too disturbing....we'll not be bothering you again....EVER!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 12 January 2017

Ls if you mean 25 mm kingspan with the foil bonded to it ....if you want it perfect ! you can buy the foil tape ....sticky on one side.....you apply the tape over the joints....all my joints were mega tight i did not use the tape ..... if this is what you have .....you can fix your T&G no problem ....bond the joints though (if you have to join the boards ) if you are nailing through the tongue (to hide the fixing ) use a nail punch .....what ever treatment you are going to use ....make sure you apply a coat to the tongue before you fix the board.........if you have a nail gun even better and no need to punch.....rock on mate! thanks for destroying the images.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 12 January 2017

Not trying to be critical in the slightest but why don't one of you cut and paste this last few posts into the Homesteading section so it will not get lost in the rubble?

You have some excellent tips and they need to be preserved for future searches.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Lightspeed - 12 January 2017

Just a bit of banter to keep tings ticking over on here MB.

Not of much use for archiving IMHO