Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - harrypalmer - 27 June 2017

Don't forget drying frozen veg, the 1K bags only cost a quid, they are prepped, sliced and blanched and are often 'fresher' than fresh veg thats been sitting on a shelf for a while loosing its vitamins.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 28 June 2017

Bees and hive will be placed in about 2/3 weeks ....thanks to the Sil ....he is now doing the pushing and not talking about it ...like i have for the last two years.

Fair play he's a grafter and gets things DONE ....and he is English ! but he gives me as good as he gets and we have a good old laugh and i am proud to have him......as my bitch.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 1 July 2017

Been thinking about some emergency bits and bobs that would be handy to put by .....so far ...i'v come up with a list of plastic plumbing pipes ...coils of 15 mm and 22 mm with various push fit fittings and inner sleeves ....25 mm plastic cold water supply pipe 50 mtr with various fittings ...copper fittings and pipe solder and flux ...fibre washers ,tap washers and ptfe tape ....ball valves and stop taps .....couple of sheets of clear perspex and a few tubes of silicon , more gaffer tape , more WD40 and a few tubes of grease...while i have most of this already , it tends to deplete especially when friends come a calling when their in the shit...but they are all good preps ...also screws,bolts,nails and fencing straining wire with some staples .....time to stock up again....think i'll shut the gate..............but i doubt it .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - MaryN - 1 July 2017

I now have a beehive (with occupants) in my garden. That's another item crossed off the wishlist.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - sethorly - 2 July 2017

My friends have beehives and they love it. Their honey has won awards. I'm jealous!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - MaryN - 2 July 2017

It has been an ambition for ages. A few weeks ago a beekeeper acquaintance turned up at my gate carrying a large tub full of bees. He dumped them into my hive and they have been there ever since. At least that has partly solved the possible problem of sweetening. I'm very happy.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 28 July 2017

Made some elderberry flower cordial this week ....great drink for a hot day or hot when you feel a cold coming on....

you will need.

four flower heads of elder flower
three fresh lemons
2lbs of granulated sugar

method.
boil up some water about 3 pints and pour into a bucket.
stir in all the sugar until dissolved
cut lemons in half and squeeze juice into bucket ...add the lemon cores
add another 3 pints of cold water and throw in the flower heads stir up
add another 2 pints of cold water give another stir and cover with a cloth
let this stand for 24 hours giving a stir now and then

using a straining cloth stain the mixture into another bucket (do not force by pushing )
using some clean bottles ....rack off
store in a dark cool place .....it will be ready in about two weeks and will last till the following year ... normally one third cordial two thirds water ENJOY last years sunshine . Light duties can be fun after all .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 2 August 2017

Started to update my home brew equipment this week ....ordered a pile of new gear which will arrive by the end of this week. I have made some room in the workshop and will put up a stud wall to section off .....then i will get serious ....hick ! .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - harrypalmer - 2 August 2017

I've a good friend who moved to the States about four years ago. His house has a massive garage so he decided to brew beer...he went overboard and has now what could be described as a 'micro brewery' and barely enough friends to drink all he brews LOL

RE: What have done towards your prep? - CharlesHarris - 2 August 2017

Where does he live HP? Does he welcome thirsty visitors? I could maybe trade him some honey or eggs...