Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 27 August 2018

(27 August 2018, 18:04)Straight Shooter Wrote: Pete .....those Kelly Kettles/stoves....they are a nice bit of kit and really do the job and well i have one 1.5 ltr .

Thanks SS i will put one on the list.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 28 August 2018

Popped to Abergavenny market today looking for pickling onions (only big ones there) so gave it a miss BUT i did pick up two long coats with shoulder poncho ....Brand new three quid ....yes three quid each ! ex Debenhams as i tried one on, wild child said i looked like Pale Rider ....Clint Eastward .......then she started...."preacher man" ....hey "preacher man".......so i bought one cream and one black ....the pockets can hold several sticks of dynamite because i checked ha ha ....on our return home she disappears into the bedroom.....then reappears with my cowboy hat (bought in Vegas 2000)...then the SIL turns up ...then leaves laughing ....then turns up again......with pick axe handle....."we need to mosey on down to town Halls in a spot of bother " .........everyone is a fucking comedian today .....anyway.... finished the grab apple jelly made eight jars packed and stacked.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 28 August 2018

A Kelly Kettle is one item of kit I feel that everyone should have.

Alas, I do not own one! Why I do not own one I have no idea since I have one or two of everything else on Gods green earth.

SS there used to be a "small person" in my town that had an Eastwood fixation. He ran about in his duster and cowboy hat with short pants and trainers.

He did that for years and everyone called him Clint or "no name rider" and he ate it up.

BTW, here is a tune for Wild Child to dwell on from a Tennessee hillbilly. All of our good blues music is being done by "country" singers now days. She will jump your old frame after this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqvOil10VU

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 28 August 2018

Well ....i played the track as you recommended MB.....then things started to turn ugly very quickly ....she started to mutter things in my ears.....(in Swahili ) and she is Welsh straight and true .....then , then the phrase "who's your mama" followed by a slap "who's your mama" followed by a double frenzied slap ....fuck i thought this is getting way out of hand......oh what's that? i say ....she said in a deep voice (not unlike Darth Vader ) "whats what?" i think there's someone in the garage.....i'd better check it out ! ...........i pick up the Kelly Kettle and return and have been demonstrating the finer rudiments of use (outside on the deck)....................some bastard friend you turned out to be MB......i could have been raped

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 28 August 2018

When i checked my faraday cage stuff last week, i realised i need more space for when i add extra gear, (the box i’ve got is crammed full).

I’ve decided to copy you guys that use a metal dustbin, so shopping tomorrow, dustbin, a couple of braided earth straps and a couple of cheap camping sleeping mats to line the bin.

While i’m out i need to stock up on hardware, assorted nuts, bolts, nails, screws etc, it’s surprising how quickly you use them up on a daily basis, i need to put a proper emergency stock in place.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 29 August 2018

I have a system or staying stocked up on small things like bolts, screws and nails.

I simply put them away and forget where I stashed them. Knowing I will never find them again I buy a new box or package when I pick up materials for any project.

At the end of the project I stash the left over parts in a tin coffee can on the shelf in the shop, at which time I find the parts left from the previous project and the number of nails, bolts or screws in the stash is again secure.

I now have enough small staples to secure chicken wire to a fence two miles long. Thing is I got rid of the last chicken two years ago. But I am not turning lose of those staples, no sir'ree, I might need those little fellows some day!

Anyone here ever straighten nails to save them?

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 29 August 2018

If i know i have a project coming up i try to get all the parts AND fixings before i start.

But before i get round to starting something else comes up and i’ve used some of the fixings i’ve got ready.

As far as i can see the only way is to get three times the amount of screws/bolts/nails i think i’ll need, even then i run short of something.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 29 August 2018

Yep MB i have straightened plenty from the age of eight, when i started my apprenticeship at fifteen....i de'nailed and straightened every which way .....even panel pins ........i visited my "MASTER" as he was sited within my indenture papers a few weeks back (he now farms about 200 acres ) and i can tell you ....he remains as tight as a ducks arse....he could peel a pomegranate in his rear trouser pocket

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 31 August 2018

Done 12lbs of pickled shallots packed and stacked , only another 9lb to do, then its on the the onions and chutney by next weekend should be done and dusted....planted more winter onion sets and winter garlic ...and planted on some french beans and broad beans , been having a scrounge around the sheds for bits and pieces ready for some winter evening projects.....had a notification of power interruption for next Thursday from 9 am till 5 pm okay nothing major ....but i will have the new genny ready .....if only to practice and re'check the wiring system i'v setup i may even breakout the solar set up just to check it out.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 1 September 2018

(31 August 2018, 16:52)Straight Shooter Wrote: Done 12lbs of pickled shallots packed and stacked , only another 9lb to do, then its on the the onions and chutney by next weekend should be done and dusted....planted more winter onion sets and winter garlic ...and planted on some french beans and broad beans , been having a scrounge around the sheds for bits and pieces ready for some winter evening projects.....had a notification of power interruption for next Thursday from 9 am till 5 pm okay nothing major ....but i will have the new genny ready .....if only to practice and re'check the wiring system i'v setup i may even breakout the solar set up just to check it out.

You better check that gen-set well ahead of the power cutoff. 9-5 is just about enough time for things in the fridge to show some damage and if something goes wrong with the service work you will need to power up the deep freeze for a few minutes to keep things well frozen.