Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: Gold - Pete Grey - 23 January 2019

I’ve been pulled up in the past for suggesting people keep some of their finances in gold, in case of problems with cyber attacks on banks, with no cash machines working, shop tills frozen or even problems due to brexit.

I’m not saying all your money, just a percentage, not at the detriment of your normal preps but as a prep in its self.

I notice the US has increased its gold reserves to almost 9000 tons, worth over $310 billion (Sept. 2018), is this in case of trade war with China ?, which will hurt us all, or is there an other reason.

If keeping gold is good for Uncle Sam surely it’s good for us all ?.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - LAC - 24 January 2019

Ahh I knew the Germans gold would turn up at some point...

I agree Pete. Another option is to hold stocks in gold mining companies, then sell when the cycle reverses, they usually increase exponentially in relation to the gold price when it shoots up.
NB: This is not financial advice just my opinion.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 24 January 2019

Solid sound thinking Pete ! if you mean holding physical coinage IN YOUR HANDS which is THE ONLY WAY to hang on to precious metals , any other method is illusion and fantasy …..IMO ……...before anyone says you can't eat gold! …...yeah I know ! …...you might want to consider buying some pigs or goats instead …..which is equally a fine idea .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 25 January 2019

My thoughts were most people have some money in reserve for an unexpected emergency or medical expense, usually long term savings, if some of this was in gold kept safe from prying eyes, if there was any collapse of the banking system or sterling (£) that money would be safe guarded.

It’s also a good idea to keep some money at home in case cash machines go down, or if TPTB decide to put restrictions on how much we can withdraw, remember Greece.

Precious metals have always fascinated people and always seem to keep their value, but as you say you can’t eat gold.

As for pigs on goats we would all like sufficient land, a smallholding, to keep some livestock or poultry or even few rabbits, most people don’t have have enough land to grow most their own food. We do the best with what we have. Do not covet thy neighbours allotment.

By the way Germany has 3371 tons of gold, Italy 2451, France 2436, Russia 1909, China 1842, the UK is way down the list with 310 tons, Gordon Brown sold off 395 tons well below it’s value between 1999 and 2002.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 26 January 2019

Yes Pete not everyone has room for pigs and goats …..but rabbits , chickens can be farmed in most rear gardens , trouble is they do attract rodents plus neighbours will complain over noise and smells ,
if you live in a flat...….MOVE !...thing is, as part of your prepps ...HOW committed are we ? HOW committed CAN we be ? …..do we work, are we retired, are we in good health ALL come into play ! in any event we can all do SOMETHING however small , allotments are great but how would you protect them if they are even one mile away ? in a shtf times ….. ? okay then WHAT CAN we produce on a window sill …..lots of stuff , Cress , sprouting seeds , radish, lettuce and some spuds planted in a old bucket.....a length of 4" plastic soil pipe with some 2" hole bored in at 8" intervals filled with a bag of compost ….set vertically ….held with one clip will produce food ! so make that a prep item …..some pipe, some bags of compost and some seeds ….not a huge commitment , but will pay dividends plus you can protect it ! …….having ground is great to have.....but you still have to protect in , the bigger the ground the bigger the problem …….sheeple know no boundaries , in fact no one will if hungry enough (including yours truly ) all said and done ….we do what we can !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 26 January 2019

Good post SS, we do have a good size garden and 3 raised beds, so we are lucky. As for chickens next door have some chickens but you can hear them from the street, not good opsec. When TSHTF i’ll be the first over the fence.......... Smile .

Anyone with a small garden could get some grow bags and some seeds, and have a go, we’ve grown spuds in strong plastic bags, Then what about hydroponics ? do some research now you never know what is possible. Prepping is nothing with out planning.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 26 January 2019

Already on aquaponics Pete , then some ground slipped where the setup was to be sited , I have all the parts pretty much ready to go....when that lot is made good , I will crack on...… the second batch of home cured bacon will be ready to slice up and packed tomorrow …..also got some Pancetta on the go …..should be ready to hang in ten more days .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 1 February 2019

At the end of last year with all the messing about , I stacked out the one poly tunnel with straw bales I had left over , enough to run around the whole of the poly tunnel plus I split some bales to cover the floor , I am over wintering stuff in there , after the snow last night I was looking out my window ….there was something odd …...but I did not click for a bit....then the obvious ……...there are two poly tunnels close to one another ….one with snow on top and one without ! now when I stacked out the straw bales I did think doing so would add more protection from cold winter weather and sure enough the bales are retaining heat from sunlight , the floor is covered with plants of all types , plus the tops of all bales have plants sat on top …...so its doing a great job , the other tunnel is for seedlings and potting on …..the heating for this is supplied by a fan heater (not at this moment) but propagators are both on (15 volt x 2 ) and working a treat ….going to try some containers in that bigger poly tunnel …..Turnips , carrots, and some potatoes …..see how they get on and not waste the warmth being generated …...not much to loose .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 8 February 2019

Been sowing seeds today, two types of tomatoes , celery and broad beans.....potatoes , turnips and carrots went in last week , took delivery of 200 lts of perlite yesterday, bought some more seed trays bits and bobs ..as I start to wind up for the new season …...new shelving is now completed ….and filled with stores …
its been busy , pancetta is now hanging ….will have a look in four months ……..set up another 2 lts of cherry gin first thing this morning (not for me ) its become a big hit ! …...this is the last , I gave the recipe out to some friends (I just want to be left alone.....Garbo) been using that paraffin stove I bought in a garage sale (I told you about some time back ) got him in the polytunnel along with a kettle and coffee , you must have creature comforts ……..oh aye !

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 12 February 2019

Dug over ten raised beds added more compost and perlite , transplanted 36 strawberry plants plus 4 red currant plants …..made some clotches 3 off …..ten more raised beds left to get ready for planting (easy work)
when the beds are knee to waist high....I am glad I got these raised beds done! the benefits are obvious for this old un …...so its onwards tomorrow with the rest should get it all sorted by Friday and cleaned up ….even though under the handicap and scrutiny of wild chick watching my every bloody move.....but she does do coffee breaks on a regular basis...….I have now mastered the goose step...……….backwards !