Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - LAC - 13 June 2019

Thankyou SS, looks like a mover it is then haha. Shall research and update.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Mortblanc - 14 June 2019

Not much I can add, the experience here has not covered, except to agree with most of it.

I have owned a 20' caravan, went to a 30' and now have a 25' that sleeps 6. As my vehicles get smaller my desire to pull them around declines.

I also face the higher cost of camping sites. It is just as cheap for me to stay in a hotel as to rent a full service campsite w/water/electric.

My biggest joy with the caravans was boondocking for days/weeks at a time, self contained and separate from services.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 14 June 2019

Good point MB , boondocking over here is very difficult especially for caravaners , Pete would stand more of a chance in his motorhome for obvious reasons ……..that's one thing about the states that I never ever forget the sheer SIZE of it ! nothing like it here my friend, you would be moved on by the cops , farmers or the locals thinking you were new agers or gypsies …..how much is a motel per night over there MB and how much is a full service CARAVAN pitch per night ? out of curiosity .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Pete Grey - 14 June 2019

Boondocking.......its great !. You can still find the odd camp site where there are no rules and regulations, pay a few quid and please yourself how you camp, in the van or under a tarp, cook on a wood fire.

MB is very lucky, boondocking seems to be the norm in the States.

When you look at caravans remember what looks great when the weather is good, when you spend your time outside, sitting, eating and cooking on a barbecue etc, and using the van just for sleeping is a lot different in bad weather when you have to do everything inside.

You need space, space for storage (bedding, clothing, food, cooking utensils etc), you want decent size beds. You even need somewhere to hang wet clothing.

If like me you think your caravan may be your BOV and a specific camping site/place your BOL you’ll need plenty of storage for much more stuff, and more living space.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 27 June 2019

Been out on the ground today, picked red currants , black currants , gooseberries , raspberries, strawberries and rhubarb …..cabbage and broad beans ….potatoes are ready to raise , peas won't be long , pulled some turnips , gave everything a damn good soaking this evening (getting really hot tomorrow) ….john the farm turned up today as I was chopping up the rhubarb his wife's eyes lit up as I gave her two bags ready to freeze and some elder flowers she had asked for to make some cordial ………."good lord pal !" you have some damsons on there …….and you are going to cut it down ? well I am not so sure now john I say....well I would not if I were you mate ! that would be a sin.
good heavens mate I can see the floor as he walks into my workshop ...you been busy ! two coffee's later they disappear out the drive and through the five bar wooden gate waving a farewell and the normal beep beep ! ……..going to tickle up my knifes tomorrow.....its also time to check out stores and inspect packs and kits.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 11 July 2019

Picked more blackcurrants , raspberries , broadbeans, peas, onions , and raised some potatoes today …..the jude sacks arrived last week ready to store the root veg n spuds.....my one freezer is filling up fast …...bought a 12 volt / 230 volt cooler will run this off the solar setup as a standby , we are on with the aquaponics (sil) fish arrived yesterday , the setup is a temporary one for trials , if all go's well the main event will follow on ……...as I clear produce from the beds I will re plant ongoing veg , treated myself to a new (to me ) Landrover ….the bollocks ! …….women faint as I drive by ! men develop huge bulges in their trousers and shout smarmy twat as I pass them by .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - LAC - 11 July 2019

SS
Where did you get the 12v/230v cooler and what's the make and model? Any good?

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 12 July 2019

Got it from Aldi's last week LAC £39.99 the name is ADVENTURIDGE quality is excellent three year warranty , we used it last week for five days none stop mostly on 12 volt …..verdict …….. brilliant bit of kit works perfectly …..I may buy another ...its that good....you can go online if its not in your local Aldi's .

RE: What have done towards your prep? - LAC - 13 July 2019

Thankyou SS. Been doing some camping recently, no carravan yet just tent, but also hired static carravans on some trips. Im surprised to be honest if you book early or catch deals on static caravan parks it only costs a little more than if you were to hire a pitch for a caravan. Up and down Norfolk and Suffolk, lovely counties (mostly)!

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Straight Shooter - 13 July 2019

Bought another cool box this afternoon...………..job done ! .