Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - NorthernRaider - 30 January 2013

(30 January 2013, 10:30)BeardyMan Wrote: My AAA battery casing for the UV-5R FINALLY arrived yesterday (ordered in November!!). Handy little thing. I now have the normal 1600mah battery, a 3200mah battery and the AAA casing as power sources.

AAA adaptor for a UV 5 R or RC? or RC + ??
If for an RC where did you get it from or are you stocking them. Both AL from Scotland and myself are both on the lookout for them so we can convert ours into dry cell AA or AAA powered radios.
NR

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 30 January 2013

(30 January 2013, 15:01)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(30 January 2013, 10:30)BeardyMan Wrote: My AAA battery casing for the UV-5R FINALLY arrived yesterday (ordered in November!!). Handy little thing. I now have the normal 1600mah battery, a 3200mah battery and the AAA casing as power sources.

AAA adaptor for a UV 5 R or RC? or RC + ??
If for an RC where did you get it from or are you stocking them. Both AL from Scotland and myself are both on the lookout for them so we can convert ours into dry cell AA or AAA powered radios.
NR

UV-5R. got mine from ebay, maybe contact the seller and see if he does them for the other variations?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-70-6-X-AAA-BATTERY-BATTERY-PACK-SHELL-FOR-UV5R-TH-F8-UV-5R-/330829687533?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d06fc6aed

RE: What have done towards your prep? - David075 - 30 January 2013

done very little towards prep having a break apart from getting some powerpax battery holders to stop the batterys rattling about all over the place and getin lost.

(30 January 2013, 15:04)BeardyMan Wrote: [

UV-5R. got mine from ebay, maybe contact the seller and see if he does them for the other variations?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-70-6-X-AAA-BATTERY-BATTERY-PACK-SHELL-FOR-UV5R-TH-F8-UV-5R-/330829687533?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d06fc6aed

Ta muchly, I've trawled through the E bay pages but cannot see how on earth you contact them, it says ask their service agaents but doesnt show you how or where !!!.

(30 January 2013, 15:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ta muchly, I've trawled through the E bay pages but cannot see how on earth you contact them, it says ask their service agaents but doesnt show you how or where !!!.

http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&frm=284&requested=radiobanker&iid=330829687533

That should do the trick?

Nup didnt work, never mind Smile Thanks for trying TBH the more effort I put into the issue of two way radios the more dispondant I get, There just no simple easy way to get a decent system set up in the UK.

(30 January 2013, 15:26)NorthernRaider Wrote: Nup didnt work, never mind Smile Thanks for trying TBH the more effort I put into the issue of two way radios the more dispondant I get, There just no simple easy way to get a decent system set up in the UK.

I got our system set up in no time. Car based CB radio and 3 UV-5Rs all with the same image programmed.

Job done.

(30 January 2013, 15:47)BeardyMan Wrote:
(30 January 2013, 15:26)NorthernRaider Wrote: Nup didnt work, never mind Smile Thanks for trying TBH the more effort I put into the issue of two way radios the more dispondant I get, There just no simple easy way to get a decent system set up in the UK.

I got our system set up in no time. Car based CB radio and 3 UV-5Rs all with the same image programmed.

Job done.

You have more luck and patience than me Smile TBH I bought a UV5RC then got AL to strip out all the crap leaving it as a PMR 446 only unit, then I find there are dozens of different ancillary antenna for them but cannot find a consensus on which is the best, huge variation in opinions on multiple forums, then I read of counterfeit antennas being sold that look identical but do damage to your hand set. Then I find the only place I can get dry cell battery adaptors for the UV5 have to come from Hong Kong, but cannot work out simply and conveniently if they fit the model I have. I dont flourish in that sort of confusion its not condusive to simple basic prepping.

I just want a simple out the box radio that does what I want it to do, the nearest I got was the UV5RC and the Intek Mt5050 but the intek is very expensive and the antenna cannot be simply swapped out , and as I wrote about above the UV5RC is just a nightmare to set up a simple complete system ( Reprogramming or even programming, sourcing battery adaptors, finding better antenna etc etc).

I'll just keep looking there are so many new radios coming out I'll get what I want eventually, BTW I hope your CB set up is more succesful than my efforts all i got was music being blasted out on multiple channels, some tossers swearing continiously and a limited range.

BTW when are you going to start stocking radios ? Smile

(30 January 2013, 16:00)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(30 January 2013, 15:47)BeardyMan Wrote:

Job done.

You have more luck and patience than me Smile TBH I bought a UV5RC then got AL to strip out all the crap leaving it as a PMR 446 only unit, then I find there are dozens of different ancillary antenna for them but cannot find a consensus on which is the best, huge variation in opinions on multiple forums, then I read of counterfeit antennas being sold that look identical but do damage to your hand set. Then I find the only place I can get dry cell battery adaptors for the UV5 have to come from Hong Kong, but cannot work out simply and conveniently if they fit the model I have. I dont flourish in that sort of confusion its not condusive to simple basic prepping.

I just want a simple out the box radio that does what I want it to do, the nearest I got was the UV5RC and the Intek Mt5050 but the intek is very expensive and the antenna cannot be simply swapped out , and as I wrote about above the UV5RC is just a nightmare to set up a simple complete system ( Reprogramming or even programming, sourcing battery adaptors, finding better antenna etc etc).

I'll just keep looking there are so many new radios coming out I'll get what I want eventually, BTW I hope your CB set up is more succesful than my efforts all i got was music being blasted out on multiple channels, some tossers swearing continiously and a limited range.

BTW when are you going to start stocking radios ? Smile

Should have gone for the standard UV-5R Wink
No issues with things not fitting etc.

I've got 2 antennae at the moment, the standard one, the nagoya 774 and the Nagoya 771 on the way. ALL fit without any issues. And at about £5 a pop it's worth having redundancies. Different twigs for different situations.

CB is good. Driving up the M3 the other morning I managed to have a brief chat with a very strange old fellow on the Isle of Wight. Had contact up until I went over the big ridge just south of Winchester! Very impressed.

I'll be stocking the radios as soon as I get a decent stockist. Difficult to find!

On either CT or one of the other Radio forums some of the chaps were warning about counterfeit Nagoya antenna that were very similar to the real thing, but were poor copies that could damage your handset so please be careful. I look forward to seeing your business expand.