Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 17 March 2012

Sorry Mike, she's more Bristolian than me. I've only lived here 6months.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - NorthernRaider - 17 March 2012

(16 March 2012, 23:03)Scythe13 Wrote: In response to BP's naughty comments.....I had wonderful cardio exercise sessions will AlyBear for much of the time I was over.

I bet your wrist is sore.
Well this last week I bought more X bow bolts, tarted up the vans rusty bits a bit, had a suprise visit from a prepper from Scotland last week, had two more preppers drop round this morning to get me to go through their kit and lists with em ( and yes I forgive you for turning up at 7.30 AM) Dropped wifey off at airport at 5 Am so I was already up.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 17 March 2012

Thanks NR, the compassion is appreciated. The wrist is feeling much better now haha.

Today, I have managed to miss the opening times at the post office place to pick my parcel up. Need to go back on Monday.

AlyBear came round and we went on a walk to feed the squirrels. Well, as Mike rightly pointed out...what an excuse for some exercise! Grab the new Ultra-Light styled backpack, and let's get a-walking. It wasn't a massive walk, but I think I may have been on the bad end of a comedown (drugs are bad. Don't do drugs....or certain exercise enhancing pills. Not speed, but not far off. A couple of weeks on them and you hit a heavy comedown). So the squirrel feeding fun part was cut short. However, there was a BEAST of a rain storm. AlyBear swears there was hail, but I didn't think so. It was the perfect excuse to get out my hefting poncho and keep nice and dry!!! AlyBear laughed at the poncho, and then wished she had one. I offered her my spare (oh yes, my BOB is equiped with extra gear for more than just me) but she thought it looked uncool.

AlyBear's view of what is and is not uncool is insane! It's a huge camo poncho! Nobody can see you when you're wearing camo clothing, so nobody can see you to laugh at you!!! Silly woman.

I did learn one very good lesson though. I need gaiters to keep everything, lower than the poncho, dry. My shoes doubled up as a good system to hold water. Who needs a water bottle when you have shoes. Back to the Vibrams.

AlyBear did show a reasonable level of preparedness-know-how. She had an umbrella.....that she forgot about until half way through the rain.
Oh, and we've cracked open the Cavendish & Harvey Mixed Fruit Drops (that I was planning on saving for a post SHTF treat). The best before date on them is over in 2014! November 19th, 2014 to be accurate.

Just a thought, but they'll be a wonderful moral boost a few days, weeks, month, (maybe years?) into a disaster.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - mikebratcher69 - 18 March 2012

I'm in the process of building a HUGE roof rack box thingymabob for my bov.
It's made out of a huge crate that contained granite floor tiles...
I've stripped it back to its basic components and am now building it back up with glue and screws instead of the nails it origionaly had and altering it's size to suit my bov.
It's made from mostly some sort of hardwood too, so it's a VERY heavy but ultra sturdy beast to put on the car BUT i'm planning on fitting rails so I can winch it on and off manualy of course... easy peasy... and wheels like a go cart but off road ones so I can wheel it if my bov fails...

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 18 March 2012

i have been looking at the large wooden crates you get in some DIY supermarkets and garden centres-the ones they put seed potatoes and other stuff in, i think they would make good compost bins and other things, but i expect they just dump them or break them up when they've finished with them.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - mikebratcher69 - 18 March 2012

I aquired mine from a skip... accidentaly fell onto my roof and magically got strapped on, I dont know where I was when it happened or of course I'd return it.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 18 March 2012

[quote='mikebratcher69' pid='10314' dateline='1332062554']
I aquired mine from a skip... accidentaly fell onto my roof and magically got strapped on, I dont know where I was when it happened or of course I'd return it.
[/quote) its called "the art of acquisition"Angel

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Skean Dhude - 18 March 2012

Scythe,

I think you have defined when you think the event is going to happen.

Those drops are fine but they get all sticky and messy when they get hot regardless of dates.

AB has choices at the moment. She can look cool and get an nice cocoa after when she is cold. After an event she won't worry about being cool and you will still have the stuff.

I'm collecting pallets when I can. Very useful they are.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 18 March 2012

(18 March 2012, 13:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: I think you have defined when you think the event is going to happen.

Those drops are fine but they get all sticky and messy when they get hot regardless of dates.

Yeah, I do kind of think it's going to happen in the next few years. Less than 10, I'm 90% certain of that. Didn't think of them getting all sticky though. Thought the powdered sugar would stop that.

Today I am updating my shopping list and setting up a financial system to square off my prepping. Also, I'm figuring out what to store in a single barrel cache. It's not really a huge prep, but it's planning, and that (to me at least) is something I need to do more of.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Skean Dhude - 18 March 2012

(18 March 2012, 19:38)Scythe13 Wrote: Didn't think of them getting all sticky though. Thought the powdered sugar would stop that.

Nope. Take it from someone who was trying to find ways to store sweets. Now,I'm looking at making my own.