Survival UK Forums
What have done towards your prep? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: What have done towards your prep? (/showthread.php?tid=1010)

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 26 June 2013

Wifey has made some Gooseberry jam off our bushes, mmmmmmmm very nice I must say. Looking forward to the Blackcurrants and Raspberries too, but the little winged twats are assaulting them but I have plenty of ammoBig Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Alterego - 26 June 2013

my missus is a chef at a local foody posh place...

they have loadsa different teas ...supplied from the wholesalers in Mylar BagsRolleyes

she gets given the bags gratis and ive built up quite a collection...

this afternoon im sterlising them in the steamer and then they are ready for foodstuffs from the garden....Smile

Alterego

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Steve - 26 June 2013

(26 June 2013, 09:32)Tartar Horde Wrote: Wifey has made some Gooseberry jam off our bushes, mmmmmmmm very nice I must say. Looking forward to the Blackcurrants and Raspberries too, but the little winged twats are assaulting them but I have plenty of ammoBig Grin

My gooseberries aren't ready yet, still like small marbles. Do you know what variety you have ?

(25 June 2013, 19:23)Scythe13 Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 18:23)Steve Wrote: Ordered 25 sheets of plasterboard faced 50mm insulation board. £1000 - Eek !!! Enough to fully insulate and dryline my shipping container and hopefully have 2 sheets left spare.

Incidentally, I checked the maximum weight that can be loaded onto a standard shipping container and was surprised to see it is 192 tonnes. Obviously that weight is supported by the corner posts, not the "roof", but it shows how strong these things are.

Is that weight not the max loaded onto the base? I assume it's not the maximum available to load on an internal shelf system?

That is the weight of other shipping containers that can be stacked on top. As I said, it's only the corner posts that can take this weight, so if you intended to bury one deep you would need a substantial steel frame from the corner posts across the roof or a strong reinforced concrete slab that was capable of supporting itself and the earth from the corners, not forgetting that the foundations under the corners also need to be substantial enough to prevent the container corners being forced into the ground and the floor bulging upwards.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 26 June 2013

Spotted the update by The Falcon above. I have lots of these water purification tablets, but since the move I'm not sure where they are now. So I've just ordered 500 tablets, enough to do 10,000 litres of water.

Also ordered

hobo reel an fishing kit.
Books! Real ones with pages an stuff.
1 man lightweight bivi tent
snares
slow match

I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten. No worry though, it'll be a nice surprise when the postie arrives Big Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BlackScorpion - 26 June 2013

Well, I'm not sure how it goes towards my general prepping, but I passed my Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists Test today! Big Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Tartar Horde - 27 June 2013

I'm not sure of the actual types of Gooseberry, but they are ready now, just a little bit softer on the inside, but still with good sharp bite. How about I send a few Goosegogs and pick the seeds out the buggersBig Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 27 June 2013

saw some gooseberries for sale this morning at a garden centre...£5 per kilo.

RE: What have done towards your prep? - BeardyMan - 28 June 2013

my 500 water purification tablets arrived today, pretty quick from Evaq8. hobo line, slow match arrived yesterday too and my books.

Just ordered the Svord Peasant wood and the svord peasant mini too. Should arrive tomorrow.
Oh, and 3 wood carving chisels Big Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - bigpaul - 28 June 2013

ordered new pair of walking boots..£10 +p&p! to go with my other 5 pairs!Big Grin

RE: What have done towards your prep? - Scythe13 - 1 July 2013

Repotted a load of plants, also, put up a new set of shelves for plants to be on. Oh, forgot to mention, bought a load of new pots for the plants to enjoy.

Shopping:

5x 7 inch pots
3x 5 inch pots
3x 1.5 inch tray

I'm able to repot the larger plants, then use the pots from them to repot the smaller ones. Like a clothing hand-me-down, from child to child, but a pot hand-me-down, from plant to plant. Too many plants for pots, thus the shopping.