Survival UK Forums
Introducing a new local currency after an event - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Rebuilding Society (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Thread: Introducing a new local currency after an event (/showthread.php?tid=5)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Skean Dhude - 4 September 2011

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: To my understanding everybody will be working as hard as we have never worked before...

Agree with that.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: a doctor might not be doing much on a daily basis but is there if something serious
Happens(amputation,etc,etc)He does not have any patientes during the day?time to pass his knowledge to the future doctors.That's how he will earn his food,etc.
A carpenter...well,several tools are made with wood(the old trusted electricity free ones)and require maintenance too.

So he earns his food by teaching someone else how to do his job. I think I'd rather be a carpenter with medical training. earn my food by working and then charging individuals for medical help.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: You have no skills?a pair of eyes it's all you need to look after the security of an area with food/kids,etc

Changed my mind. A carpenter will work too hard. I'll look after the security side.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: We will have to integrate(the bigger community the better)

Tend to agree but depends on the community. Although eventually it will all flow together.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: The old Soviets had the idea of rewarding those one that could produce more,it was not about
The quality,you make 10 more of wherever you produce then you get a bonus.
Mass production is the idea,the you can barter for anything you need,doctors,beds,named.

And that worked so well for them. Producing nails nobody wanted while ignoring what people needed. Plus, I don't remember the bonus part. It was quotas of work and when they finished they stopped. Bus drivers driving past passengers because picking them up didn't give them any more money so why bother.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: After that,I'm afraid you need someone in charge to issue new coins,notes...someone that can be trusted.

Ah. The elite who can be trusted. What could possibly go wrong?

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: Or you could establish a value for things and trade them between communities,like the gold between countries.
Example:
A community has a extra stock of bread(wherever)that can be sold to another community for 20 "New Pounds" and then that community could buy the services of a Doc,carpenter,Guard,etc for X days in exchange.
Only the Leaders(the Accounts department)would handle that and be a benefit for all of us.

Taking a nice little cut off the top. No thanks. I'll trade with the neighbours myself if there is no money. They may want a doctor.

However, trade between communities is likely to be a trigger for some sort of currency. After all they may very well have things we don't have and vica versa.

(4 September 2011, 21:26)2DaysAgoASawAVehicle Wrote: You don't need real money if we have all agree on the value of things.Trust is the word.

How true. But we are flawed creatures. Nowhere in the history of our species has trust ever worked out once your community starts to grow.

You clearly trust your fellow man more than my experiences allows me to.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - 2DaysAgoASawAVehicle - 4 September 2011

I know, no society it's perfect, why bother then? Well, that's our duty,go forward and keep going.
If you are a good carpenter I might ask you for a new tool but I'm not sure how much I'll trust you as a doctor if I'm not desperate as I could need a real one!
Trust...we are rebuilding,improving the services,growing in a community.
Who is going to issue the new currency but a new government ?What better government that the people we work with/for?(and I know how that sounds)
However that's the only way to go if we talk about new currency..

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - grumpy old man - 5 September 2011

hi
this gives me much to think about
I'am not a old soviet and i do like money and business in this world and at this time althought there is not a lot about at the moment, and i have employed people as well.
keeping this in mind in an after event thing the one man band would not survive long so people would some how band together but bearing what they would have gone thought money and gold etc. would mean nothing to anyone i don,t think we would be dealing overseas anymore and running up and down the country would take to long i think we would go back to the dark or middle ages
and people would swap or trade a skill to get by.
if you can labour then that would be another skill, people would have to came down from the class system just to survive and live.
so say a doctor could treat people and teach people and labour for the farmer and other jobs like every one else would have to do.
i don't think any body would want someone sitting on their back side collecting money from them which is what you would end up having as someone would have to set the value on services and make sure the coins were there.
no i think best leave it to the two people bartering for what they want and can offer.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Skean Dhude - 5 September 2011

Barter is fine for starting off and in a small community. As it gets larger it needs something, some tokens, to represent earnings and allow us to progress. If I can only get fed for my labour and cannot make savings then I cannot progress. I just stay still.

Staying still is death in the long run.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Skvez - 5 September 2011

> What can a carpenter barter for an egg?
Agree, even a crude wooden spoon is worth more than a single egg.

The big advantage of money over barter goods is that I can carry it to the market not knowing what I might want to buy or what the person I want to barter with wants. If everyone accepts money then I don't have to carry a cart of barter goods with me as I walk about in case I want something someone has but they're picky about what they want to barter it for.

Money is good, provided it's not fiat money.
What we need are coins made of precious metal, these have intrinisc worth, perhaps not to a starving man but once I'm fed and sheltered I'd be willing to trade my labor for silver, especially if I could buy food in the local tavern/market with it.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Lord T - 5 September 2011

I want to be near a large community for trade but just want to be left alone. Don't want them making me do things because they have decided it is best for them.

I would guess that I would have to have some of their currency to trade with eventually but if they were a good community that wouldn't be a problem and as long as it was not a fiat currency I would be happy.

As far as introducing one. Sorry. No new ideas there that you have not thought about.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - grumpy old man - 6 September 2011

the problem i think to moving forward is who's going to be incharge to start this currency off and who's going to trust people not to get robbed like we do now.
but we will need to move forward some how for the sake of are children
and if we are the one preparing to survive we need to think about it because we will be the ones left.
i don't think gold would be any good as their are too many shop to raid and take from after an event people will loot them anyway
just an idea/

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Skean Dhude - 6 September 2011

Exactly the problem and the reason for this thread. How can we do it?

I suspect it will be more of necessity than planning that will trigger the move but I do like to plan and think ahead.

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - grumpy old man - 8 September 2011

just got an idea!
i think the best way forward would be to start some think like a bank or shop. the person who starts this business would set the value of things and give the seller a book with a stamp mark and signed the seller would also sign the main book kept by the banker/shop keeper this gives the seller credit with the business. the seller can look at the other items for sale and buy what they want by off setting the credit book.
and a debt has to be paid with no bankruptces and no missing shop keepers/banks
any idea's to move this forward or any problems with it?

RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event - Skean Dhude - 8 September 2011

It is one solution but You have just set up a bank and with more power than our banks have.

Bankers should not decide the price of anything.

When the number of transactions reaches a certain value then the job becomes full time. Plus I don't want someone knowing everything I do.

What happens if I want to buy something not in the book? Do I show the seller the book and let him choose what he wants?

It isn't easy.