Survival UK Forums
Shtf candle - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Projects (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Shtf candle (/showthread.php?tid=602)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Shtf candle - Nemesis - 18 December 2011

3am 12 hour mark.

[Image: MLnk5eCfgyPooehvkXiP2Ahz7.jpg]
Testing a reflecter before I decide "if" to make a decent one.

[Image: YeYrRmFPZTMMvFsi9N97JZ23M.jpg]

[Image: xwHTyzAzwHjiIEr2zOcmjmzEp.jpg]

RE: Shtf candle - Skean Dhude - 18 December 2011

Looks very good. Does the crumpled foil spread the light better than a smooth foil or does it make no difference?

RE: Shtf candle - mikebratcher69 - 18 December 2011

I was wondering if you could supersize it and use it for a space heater also?
Mind if it were that would you possibly be able to cook on it aswel?
You can usually get the 25liter used oil from takeaways in the metal drums, so i wonder if you jst make a wick stick it in and away you go?

RE: Shtf candle - Nemesis - 18 December 2011

(18 December 2011, 12:36)Skean Dhude Wrote: Looks very good. Does the crumpled foil spread the light better than a smooth foil or does it make no difference?

I would not use foil but I did not want to cut my mylar mirror sheet as it is being used for now on something else, the foil was just to give me an idea as to if I should continue design, I am still on the fence, because a cream wall kind of offers the same effect as foil.

(18 December 2011, 16:05)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I was wondering if you could supersize it and use it for a space heater also?
Mind if it were that would you possibly be able to cook on it aswel?
You can usually get the 25liter used oil from takeaways in the metal drums, so i wonder if you jst make a wick stick it in and away you go?

In this case there was no heat test, I had my fire on, I would have to test with it as only heat source, as we all know the colder it is the more heat we gain from even a candle.

RE: Shtf candle - Nemesis - 19 December 2011

Btw so far it burned to 8:30am from the last time I posted time stamp of 3am 17 and half hours burn time thus far just under half a jar of oil left.

RE: Shtf candle - Reality Jones - 20 December 2011

If you burn used oil from a takeaway does it smell of chips or other foodstuffs?
I was wondering because one of the things we need to do is keep food smells to a minimun so as not to attract the wrong kind of attention pshtf

RE: Shtf candle - Nemesis - 21 December 2011

(20 December 2011, 17:31)Reality Jones Wrote: If you burn used oil from a takeaway does it smell of chips or other foodstuffs?
I was wondering because one of the things we need to do is keep food smells to a minimun so as not to attract the wrong kind of attention pshtf

Very good question I am glad it was asked and it is something I have thought quite a lot about, post shtf things will be more noticeable,

I would say yes you get a smell more so when they go out and when lit, in many cases people should do what I call covert cold preps both food
and equipment,

maybe start this 1/3 days post a shtf and it would need to last at least 2+ weeks, a lot depends on location and who you are grouped with.

And how organised you are.