Survival UK Forums
candle cooker? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: candle cooker? (/showthread.php?tid=7185)

candle cooker? - Midnitemo - 18 September 2014

I was just perusing a bulk candle supplier and came across a 3 wick candle with a burn time of 75 hours....it occurred to me that it might make a reasonable cooking source just wondering if anybody had tried it? I have heated up beans and soup(very slowly I might add) using a candle during a hurricane in Florida once.

RE: candle cooker? - Skean Dhude - 18 September 2014

I can see you heating up a tin of soup or something over time with a candle but it must take forever.

Must be worth a try though as even warm soup or beans is better than nothing.

RE: candle cooker? - Midnitemo - 18 September 2014

it did take an age and lots of stirring but it was very welcome warm food at the time....just thinking three flames is going to be a huge improvement over one , I figured I'd adjust the candle height by just adding saucers as the candle burns down.

RE: candle cooker? - Scythe13 - 18 September 2014

For a little fun, get 4 tea-lights, put them in a 2x2 layout, in a well aerated room, on a heatproof surface, then light them all and wait.

When all 4 turn to liquid, the wax itself starts to hold a flame, and you end up with a cool little burner. I nearly burnt down a flat I used to live in by doing this...oops.

But you can certainly cook on that.

As for the 3 wick candles, I'm not a fan. Not because I think they're bad, they just don't fit into my plans. The cintonella candles are good to keep bugs away, but that's about it. All other 3 wick candles are just like 3 tea lights close together, but without the benefit of the mega-flame you get when they turn liquid. You could also keep the 3 tea lights slightly apart and maintain 3 flames long enough to cook on.

IKEA do really well priced tea lights.

I'd thought about tealights but dismissed them on safety grounds....this three wick candle has a 6 inch diameter by 6 inches tall making it very robust and its non scented...wonder what the wattage of 3 candles combined would be?

RE: candle cooker? - Scythe13 - 18 September 2014

I'm not tech enough to be interested in wattage. As long as it heats stuff up, I'm happy.

For safety, put them on a terracotta plant tray (the shallow trough that goes under the plant pot) and add a little water. A small bunsen burner stand will be strong enough to hold a tin of beans or something like that.

Just curious what the wattage is for comparison purposes...the main ring on my 2 burner camp sove is 1500w max my little portable single burner running of 470 cartridges is 1000w just wondered what three candle flames might equate too.