Survival UK Forums
Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Noticeboard (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: RV and Meets (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! (/showthread.php?tid=8473)

Pages: 1 2

Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - sid6554 - 18 July 2016

Hi guys and girls!
This summer I'm heading to the forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, for a full survival experience lasting several days. I'm in my twenties and I want to have an adventure, creating shelter, catching food (some back up sweet potatoes in case little food is caught) and everything in between. My proper multi day survival experiences so far have only been in Thailand because here most forests are far too small, fenced and privately owned. This forest is a reasonable exception, I'm super excited!
Company would be nice. Anyone wants to join?

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - harrypalmer - 18 July 2016

Its pretty much illegal to camp in the FOD, plenty of Rangers there who will move you on.

There are wild Boar and Deer there but you can't hunt them.

Your best bet is to join a bushcraft forum and get along to camps and meet members. Many have permission to hunt and trap the likes of Rabbit and to forage on private land and you'll improve your skill set.

You could look at Scotland where the right to roam and camp is far far more flexible the England and Wales.

Take food with you, foraging in the UK is not always easy even for those of us with experience.

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - Skean Dhude - 19 July 2016

So you get to practise your stealth and evasion as well. Advertise this as a practise for camping and stealth and evasion and you may get a couple who are interested. Give them a bit of time to make arrangements. If you want I'll post it to the main site if you PM me the details.

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - MaryN - 19 July 2016

Watch out for the Bear in the Forest of Dean! (Local joke).

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - harrypalmer - 19 July 2016

I can't advocate ' practise your stealth and evasion' its illegal.

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - Ysbryd - 9 November 2016

(19 July 2016, 20:52)harrypalmer Wrote: I can't advocate ' practise your stealth and evasion' its illegal.

It isn't illegal to stalk the deer (in season) or wild boar as long as you gain written permission beforehand and use the correct caliber rifle. There are a lot of people who wilfully misunderstand how land ownership and land managment work. Everything in the UK is owned by someone, even if others have a limited right to use it for certain purposes. You'll increase your chances of being allowed to shoot over private land by joining BASC or the CLA and taking out their shooters insurance.

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - harrypalmer - 17 November 2016

Well Ysbryd, as a phantom/spirit (https://glosbe.com/cy/en/ysbryd) you may stealth camp et al, most won't have your abilities.

Permission to hunt and shoot in the UK really is vital, pretty much the first rung on the ladder to getting your shotgun chitty, joining shooting clubs is essential if you hope to own hunting rifles.

Having seen first hand the damage 'preppers/bushcrafters' can leave behind their visits means I'll never recommend illegal camping or hiking in the few National Parks the UK has, plenty of camping areas you can use to practise your 'survival' skills for use if TSHTF elsewhere.

If or when you get your FAC you can hunt legally in many parts of the UK (with permission).

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - AdamRoth - 29 November 2016

(18 July 2016, 12:38)harrypalmer Wrote: Its pretty much illegal to camp in the FOD, plenty of Rangers there who will move you on.

There are wild Boar and Deer there but you can't hunt them.

Your best bet is to join a bushcraft forum and get along to camps and meet members. You can even find some bushcraft strings at www.60xcustomstrings.com. Many have permission to hunt and trap the likes of Rabbit and to forage on private land and you'll improve your skill set.

You could look at Scotland where the right to roam and camp is far far more flexible the England and Wales.

Take food with you, foraging in the UK is not always easy even for those of us with experience.

Foraging in the UK is tough! I completely agree with the post above..

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - Deciament69 - 11 April 2017

(18 July 2016, 00:19)sid6554 Wrote: Hi guys and girls!
This summer I'm heading to the forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, for a full survival experience lasting several days. I'm in my twenties and I want to have an adventure, creating shelter, catching food (some back up sweet potatoes in case little food is caught) and everything in between. My proper multi day survival experiences so far have only been in Thailand because here most forests are far too small, fenced and privately owned. This forest is a reasonable exception, I'm super excited!
Company would be nice. Anyone wants to join?

Wow mate, that should be awesome, wish one i will do it too!

RE: Survival trip to Forest of Dean! - Mortblanc - 12 April 2017

If you note the date and the number of posts you might conclude that the poor soul died out there and never made it back to do another post or report on his "fun"!

Be careful out there, there are things that go bump in the night and folks are never seen again!