Survival UK Forums
being in dire straits in the u.k - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: being in dire straits in the u.k (/showthread.php?tid=8700)

Pages: 1 2

being in dire straits in the u.k - the drifter - 22 April 2017

im kind of worried about whats really possible in the uk with regards to buggin out in an emergency,
or even homealone type scenario.
due to the fact we have so many stupid rules regarding keeping weapons especially fire arms.
i mean a natural disaster i feel it wouldnt really hinder me and i feel i could deal with a few weeks out in the wild.
but political??? civil war unrest nationwide? or some kind of martial law scenario.
id feel safer over the channel where the right to self defence is respected more. plus theres more space.
i mean i find it hard to picture really taking care of my family in the face of desperate hungry and armed raiders etc.
i know this is a dramatic kind of thread but im sure you know what i mean people.
anyway im very keen to hear opinions.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - CharlesHarris - 22 April 2017

I cannot speak to the current situation in UK, as I haven't been there since the 1980s, but judging from the number of Brit expats I know who have moved to the US since 9/11/01, that might be an indicator. Others like HP are considering relocating to OZ or CA, and all those would seem good options for those having the means. Medical, technical and engineering fields in particular have more vacant positions than are able to be readily filled from US applicants.

As for possession of firearms by non-US citizens, the applicable Federal law is:

A nonimmigrant alien who has established residency in a State may purchase and take possession of a firearm from an unlicensed person, provided the buyer and seller are residents of the same State, and no other State or local law prohibits the transaction. A nonimmigrant alien with residency in a State may purchase a firearm from a licensee, provided the sale complies with all applicable laws and regulations.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(9); 27 CFR 478.29a]

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - CharlesHarris - 22 April 2017

For clarification, the term "licensee" for the purposes of the references statute, refers to Federally licensed firearms dealer.

Many US states do not require individuals be licensed to own firearms. For instance, in my home state of West Virginia is a Permitless Carry state and any resident or non-resident who is 21 or older who can legally possess a firearm can carry it concealed in West Virginia without any type of permit/license.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - harrypalmer - 23 April 2017

" the fact we have so many stupid rules regarding keeping weapons especially fire arms" not stupid at all, these rules are why we don't see the scale of firearm deaths in the UK when compared to the the USA where gun control is a true joke.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - Skean Dhude - 23 April 2017

HP, That is one view and there is a bit of logic there but it misses the whole point and that is there is still people getting killed, just not with guns, and the lack of defensive tools give the strong and numerous an advantage. Also their wishy washy liberals make sure that the scum do not get punished for their crimes, just like in the UK, so there are a lot of people with rap sheets longer than their arms including murder. On the plus side most of the murders in the US, and I suspect here, are among those people with illegal weapons and other criminal tendencies. I'm less concerned about them but I am concerned about the fact that I can't protect myself because some people think that keeping guns restricted limits the deaths. The same people that enforce that are the ones surrounded by armed people to protect them. Hypocrites.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - harrypalmer - 23 April 2017

I now have no shotguns/Rifles because of my move to New Zealand and all disposed of legally but I will take up the hobby when I'm settled in New Zealand. I have several American friends and their views of gun control range from obtaining a concealed firearm permit and walking around armed through to no firearms allowed.

Gun control in the States has clearly failed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Their system is based loosely on the second amendment which is (and I'm being generous here) open to interpretation IMHO.

I'm not in the USA so it matters nothing to me (other than adding to my prayers) if the law is slack and lets little Jonny take mom and dad's guns to School and kill people...its America's problem

To the OP, Drifter, what are you crapping pants about?

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - LAC - 13 June 2017

(22 April 2017, 21:04)CharlesHarris Wrote: For clarification, the term "licensee" for the purposes of the references statute, refers to Federally licensed firearms dealer.

Many US states do not require individuals be licensed to own firearms. For instance, in my home state of West Virginia is a Permitless Carry state and any resident or non-resident who is 21 or older who can legally possess a firearm can carry it concealed in West Virginia without any type of permit/license.

How very civilised Charles. I'm eligible for a green card through a US parent so very tempting to jump ship.

In your experience of your state, what are the types of small businesses most in demand that one could set up and run - not necessarily having the actual hands on skills, I'm talking more of a business man running a business and employing the relevant staff from the local community?

The same question to any other American members with regard to their state?

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - sethorly - 14 June 2017

drifter - If I lived in the US I'd want to own a gun because there are so many illegal weapons.

Living in the UK, I'm happy not to own a gun because there are so few illegal weapons. (I'm not counting air rifles here - I'm planning on getting one of those for small game shortly.)

For home defence in any country, a determined SHTF group will gain entrance to your home. The UK is probably safer here I reckon. A burglar could shoot you from afar in the US whilst in the UK a burglar would have to get close and you'd have more warning. I'd rather be in the UK than the US if SHTF. So I don't think your worries are warranted, drifter. Lookup home defence for ideas of how to protect your home eg. heavy bag of stones just inside the door so the door can't be pushed open fully.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - Mortblanc - 14 June 2017

That's it Sethorly, take on the entire bunch of them with a stout stick!

Shout loudly and scare the hell out of them! Make them squeal like little girls and run away waving their arms in the air!

Everyone has to die eventually. I suppose being stomped into a bloody puddle by a mob is as good a way as any.

RE: being in dire straits in the u.k - sethorly - 16 June 2017

I'd rather take on an attacker with a knife, with me armed with a knife, than take on an attacker with a gun, with me armed with a gun. Bear in mind the attacker has the initiative as it's his move first....