Survival UK Forums
Family planning - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Scenarios (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Family planning (/showthread.php?tid=9507)

Family planning - Pete Grey - 13 October 2019

That’s got your attention.....Now seriously .....I’ve been thinking what if there is a major event, the power and everything else is off, and i am out by myself, probably within perhaps five miles from home and my OH is at home alone.

I know that i can get home in a couple of hours but during that time what does she do, check radio and internet for information, and if the event is catastrophic, secure house, turn off gas, switch to battery power for lights, fill bath with water, move crates into the house, load up BOV ?. All the time not knowing if i will make it home.

If OH is out the same, as she is more vulnerable than i am, do i try to get to her or hope she can get home herself and i get on with the jobs ?.

I think our main need will be communication, if mobile phones are out we need radios with a minimum urban range of five to ten miles so a pair of baofeng uv5r looks essential. At least we’ll know we’re both safe. We also need lists of jobs printed, if we’re bugging in timing could be essential.

RE: Family planning - Straight Shooter - 13 October 2019

Pete , you have mentioned in other posts , that you crate up supplies into manageable amounts and the campervan is normally stocked to within a inch of its life …..so I think you have that covered , with crated stuff ready to go at a drop of a hat ! I can not see any flaw in your prep ….list......yes makes sense ….having a check BO list will be essential ! and having all crates marked up ….and a loading order ….Northern Raider used lists for good reason ….I recently left behind my satellite dish (and under no pressure at all ) turning around the caravan and doing a 50 mile round trip …..diesel and time …...we can't make silly mistakes if we decide to bug out …..everything Must be in place and ready to go and go right now ! …..all dependants need to know the plan ! and the roll they are to play within it, two way coms would be a big help .

Most of us , prefer the bugging in scenario …..myself included , and to that end you can lull yourself into putting more effort in that area and bugging out becomes secondary to all calculations and choices …….bloody huge mistake imho …...you may well have no choice at all ….if you need to bug out and when! ……..your BOL ? route or routes , caches on those routes pre done and ready for your pick up there is lots for us to consider and prepare for , there are many aspects that preppers HAVE to plan for to gain the advantage and the keys to survival …..the smart way is to use the good times to mitigate the bad times ahead .

Bugging in ………...the most common reasons …..all preps are a known quantity, knowledge of your area , knowledge of local water , knowledge of local food locations, knowledge of local people (at least past knowledge) to name just a few.

Bugging out...…….to your chosen location , circumstances ….you are ahead of the curve or forced to react to what ever situation ……..in any case you will have to take,carry,or have pre cached supplies ……..in any event you will be at your most vulnerable , and the most difficult situations to overcome .

RE: Family planning - Pete Grey - 14 October 2019

Yes SS our bugging out plans in the camper are pretty comprehensive.

My thoughts on this occasion were if we have to bug in. If we’re both at home we know what we need to do.

If there was an unexpected event, and either me or my OH we’re a few miles from home, (happens on occasion), and everything cuts out, no phones, no car radio, what then ?

How do we know what is happening, is it a local problem, national, worldwide, man made, natural disaster, TEOTWAWKI ?

What do we do, how do we find out if the other is ok.

If i am out i can get home in a couple of hours if it safe, if OH is out do i go out after her, is she is safe, is it safe for her to move, we need communications, some UV5R radios seems to be the best answer.

We also need to make a list of things to do if one of us is on our own.

RE: Family planning - CharlesHarris - 15 October 2019

(14 October 2019, 12:06)Pete Grey Wrote: Yes SS our bugging out plans in the camper are pretty comprehensive.

My thoughts on this occasion were if we have to bug in. If we’re both at home we know what we need to do.

If there was an unexpected event, and either me or my OH we’re a few miles from home, (happens on occasion), and everything cuts out, no phones, no car radio, what then ?

How do we know what is happening, is it a local problem, national, worldwide, man made, natural disaster, TEOTWAWKI ?

What do we do, how do we find out if the other is ok.

If i am out i can get home in a couple of hours if it safe, if OH is out do i go out after her, is she is safe, is it safe for her to move, we need communications, some UV5R radios seems to be the best answer.

We also need to make a list of things to do if one of us is on our own.

Checklists are essential. Bug-in is preferable, but in case of fire, hazmat release or other danger, you need to have an alternate assembly point within walking distance from home, and if possible, a safe location with a neighbor where you could wait safely.

Your plan needs to indentify what triggers would cause OH to leave home before you get there. In that eventuality there needs to be a "drop" location near home where you would observe a clue, such as chalk mark, etc., telling you to pick up the message which informs you of the emergency, the time OH left, exit route and destination. Hopefully the evac route will coincide with your route home, and you will have pre-scouted several possible meet up locations.

Your selection of possible meeting points should be on high ground with unobstructed horizon go that you have good cell and radio range, as well as good 360 degree visibility, if possible, to maintain situational awareness.

RE: Family planning - Pete Grey - 15 October 2019

Thank you Charles, good point, i never thought of a drop location, i have a place in mind just need a simple code to use.