Survival UK Forums
WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK (/showthread.php?tid=9533)

WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Straight Shooter - 13 March 2020

With food shortages on the way because of climate variations , uncertain economic future , shut downs of production and uncertain deliveries . How are you going to feed yourselves and your families How will you survive ? …..where you live and what you have at hand may seem a big ask to some living in a one bed flat ? but you can grow food ANYWHERE
and that is exactly what the purpose of this thread is about ! .

March is a busy time ! to get going and sowing seeds (you can use a window sill) potatoes in a bucket ! drill a few holes in the bottom 10 mm then fill the bottom with some small stones drop in some earth about 100 mm place a potato dead centre the cover with more soil about another 100 mm (the eyes of the potato facing upwards ) ….wait for the foliage to come up through the top of the soil about 150 mm , then fill with more soil half way up the stem and repeat till the bucket is full to the top , once they flower the stems start to keel over they are ready a full bucket of spuds …..easy as that ! , there are loads of veg to plant out direct into the ground [if you have some garden or ground] so you need to buy a book on veg to understand the what and when ,soil facts , looking after the crop etc , tools, trays , how to make compost etc sounds a bit daunting but it is NOT , when I was a lad this was how we feed ourselves All year around .

If you get started right now , you will be eating the finest fresh crisp veg with full flavour you haver ever tasted , you will see and taste the difference your hands your labour produced ...over shop bought mass produced forced crap you been eating....you will never return to ever again ! in future I will post here of what I get up to every week , starting this weekend you been warned ! so come on what you done or planning on doing to feed your faces .

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - MaryN - 13 March 2020

Well, it's all go here. Greens in the veggie patch looking good; an abundance of leeks; seedlings coming up all over the place in the potting shed and greenhouse, and herbs sprouting merrily in the borders. For some reason, only known to themselves, our hens did not stop laying at the end of the year and have cranked up the rate of lay to 5 to 6 a day. This is more than we can eat, but they are fresh and lovely and friends and neighbours appreciate the occasional box. But. this is what we do as a matter of normal course. I don't anticipate any problems in the near future, Ma Nature permitting. If the weather stays kind the fruit trees and bushes will sprout and carry a good crop.

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Straight Shooter - 15 March 2020

Sliced up two kilos of onions and filled the five trays in the dehydrator set to 55 and switched on , just as well use this down time to produce something for future months , onions go in anything we cook down here ,we have a sack full and some frozen .

We hold a good stock of dehydrated tomatoes,cucumber,apples,oranges,and lemon n limes so we have a good supply.
We sorted out our freezers the other week it’s all set up in order of date ,the oldest being set for first use.....on the wood stove right now is lamb stew smells delicious! Fresh baked bread just out ! .

On the ground this last week , sowed peas,first early potatoes 30ft row ,onion sets,shallots , had to leave the carrots for the coming week ...rain slowed me up , so into the poly tunnel , filled four buckets with compost ( drilled holes for drainage ) chucked in a few handfuls of clippings first ! Then sowed with corriander,basil,parsley and chives .....there is heat in there all the other stuff doing well .

Time to think of keeping chickens again, a hen house on wheels this time , will get that done over the coming weeks.

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Straight Shooter - 18 March 2020

The carrots are now sown 32 ft row , the dehydrator is on the go ….more onions .

Judging the response to this thread , hardly seems worth the effort to continue to post if there is no interest, so I will not post further, but I would urge all of you to get growing some veg right now to have some fresh veg later down the line , at the current rate of countries going into lockdown food All food will become scarce plus more expensive , shipping , delivery logistics etc ….. The Main Threat Being …..the financial markets , banking system the whole monetary system worldwide is on the brink of collapse......grow a bucket of spuds !

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Mortblanc - 19 March 2020

Keep talking SS, that way we know someone is still alive out there.

I am not responding due to my soil being near frozen and the rain now pounding down for days. I can not plant for another month. That is just my geography. Will have nothing of substance to harvest until the end of July.

By that time there may be "shoot on sight" orders out for anyone outside the walls of their home.

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - harryhotspur - 19 March 2020

From a newbie point of view the topics on here need a prune, I'm going to look and see if I can find a "view new posts" button

RE: WHAT HAVE DONE TO FEED YOURSELF THIS WEEK - Mortblanc - 19 March 2020

well Harry it as been a long time since the Mayan Calendar end of the world, and much longer since the Y2K thing.

Don't know what you were really expecting, and this website as a whole has some hefty information in the archive files if you want to check out the main site. This is just a few of us that talk together.

It is difficult to keep the interest level of a short attention span population whose first comment about prepping is "that is never going to happen!"

until it does.

And even if it does that is what we have a government for, isn't it. To take care of us so we don't have to worry about plagues, financial crisis, invasion, meltdown. We will never be left to our own devises, surely.

until we are.