Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
19 July 2018, 20:42,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Sorting out every day carry and get home gear in our little family car (not BOV) which failed the MOT last week (the indicator lights were not yellow enough, yes really, and the rear brakes needed adjustment).

I now use a small day sac with my EDC, i carry it everywhere, it’s either on my back or it’s in the car, and there is a stuff sac in the car that contains the rest of the gear to update it to to a GHB. The bag now seams second nature to me.

Everything goes in a heavy duty plastic bag to waterproof it, this means the bag could be used as a floatation aid if i need to cross water.

Just got some nice gel insoles for the walking boots, i would not have believed the improvement they make.
20 July 2018, 01:05,
Those brakes should self adjust when you stop the vehicle while it is in reverse gear. Such as when you back down a long incline in reverse and apply the brakes.

As for the lights not being yellow enough??? Sounds very subjective to me. Is there a light meter involved? Was it all the bulbs, and did they suddenly go dim in unison?

Sounds like they are supporting the local mechanics.

I feel incredibly fortunate that I do not have to pass MOT test here, although they do nearby. I am 100 meters away from the boundary line and their pollution can not reach me across that line.
20 July 2018, 19:34,
MB for the MOT test, brakes are checked on a rolling road type machine not on the word of a mechanic, as for the indicators, bulbs are yellow behind clear lenses and eventually the colour of the bulbs fade, this is a new part of the test.

It was only last month (June) the test regulations were changed, to encompass several new items, i’ve read that vehicles can even be failed for under inflated tyres.

Good news is classic cars over 40 years old do not need testing, so our MG is now exempt.

I must remember the braking in reverse trick for next years test.
21 July 2018, 00:28,
I just replaced all the bulbs in the old vehicles a year or so ago. It seems that when one side goes there is no use replacing just that side. Plus the fact the the bulbs usually come two in a pack. I was lucky that they were both very easy to access. I have had front main beams that were a terror to manipulate and if you touched the glass they would go bad.

On my newer vehicle the lights are LED, so they should be good forever.

My Ford also has an indicator light for under-inflation of the tires. If they are as little as 2# under recommended that yellow light comes on and drives me nutty. Stop, check the tire, nothing wrong with it and not even soft looking. Drive to station and zap it with a pound of air and the light goes out!
21 July 2018, 17:23,
Made cherry vodka and peach vodka today.......making apricot jam and some apricot wine tomorrow, i will move on to gooseberry jam next and maybe some gooseberry wine....mint & apple jelly next.......Leg of lamb for din dins tomorrow accompanied by fresh raised vegetables from the garden including fresh mint sauce and roast potatoes to die for ....done by wild child ....best in the universe !
21 July 2018, 18:04,
Try apple and close jelly, SS - with crab apples if you have them - absolutely delicious and you only need a couple of cloves. Redcurrant jelly with port is nice as well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
21 July 2018, 20:16,
Wild child is in charge of the red currant(spiced) jelly Mary (i buggered it up once ) "i am not to be trusted" and i agree 100% grab apple jelly with a few cloves is extremity seriously delicious (we did have a tree but high winds brought it down) but......i know of others close by so i will indeed do some this year.
22 July 2018, 19:24,
Spent all day today on jams .....made 27 jars ...apricot,peach, and lime marmalade...started at 9am finished about 6pm all cleaned up and all is where it should live (after two beatings) ......off to water the garden and polytunnels right now! .
24 July 2018, 13:12,
First batch of gooseberry jam this morning 6 pound jars.....bloody yum yum !
24 July 2018, 13:43,
(24 July 2018, 13:12)Straight Shooter Wrote: First batch of gooseberry jam this morning 6 pound jars.....bloody yum yum !

SS you’re a jamaholic.