Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivors
23 May 2012, 18:01,
RE: Survivors
(23 May 2012, 09:53)00111001 Wrote:
(23 May 2012, 09:51)bigpaul Wrote:
(23 May 2012, 08:41)00111001 Wrote:
(21 May 2012, 14:58)bigpaul Wrote: The plague was spread by black rats our usual ones are the brown variety..dont know what the difference is...if any. any sign of a pandemic near here and we are off to the BOL...fast.Tongue

Ah, but it was the flea's on the rats that passed the plague on. You could get the same fleas on a cat/dog/mouse/monkey etc. So I don't think the colour of the rat matters?

like i said, i dont know what the difference is..if any!

I prefer white rats Wink
yeah, me too, had a pair back in the 80's but they dont live long!

Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 May 2012, 18:51,
Ref the Flea which carries bubonic or Pneumonic plague, plus weils disease and numerous other nasties, The flea can live on Rats, Mice, Squirrels, Voles, Moles and quite a few mammals, so its not just the scally tailed rodents you have to watch out for in a PA world you have to be aware of rodents, pigeon, carrion eaters like crows and other corvids, bats, cats, dogs, etc. The flea prefers and thrives primrily on rodents but can survive on other species for a while. Then one has to consider issues such as a dog or cat getting bitten or scratched by a rodent its trying to kill them it comes back home and starts licking you and you have a cut on your hand!!

24 May 2012, 14:06,
back to the Survivors...was watching another couple of episodes last night...episode 13 i think, we were discussing how clean their clothes and hair(especially the women) were, i noticed that no opsec was followed, main doors were left unlocked and no sentries were in operation, and they certainly werent doing any patrolling of the area, they didnt even remove the cattle grids to stop vehicles getting in, that was one of the first things we said we would do!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2012, 14:13,
I've noticed that in films they only get raided by bad guys when they are ready or they need someone kidnapped to make a plot twist.

I've not seen the show yet but I'll be doing a lot more than they do in any film.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 May 2012, 14:25,
wife bought me the entire boxed set for christmas,ALL 38 episodes!! so we are slowly going through them 2 episodes per night, looking for the mistakes and what we would do differently, starting off with the huge property they are in....i know they have to film wherever they got permission but it looks like a stately home....too many rooms , its like a rabbit warren...their going from a central dining room with a blazing fire to bedrooms on several floors which are unheated and cold, fine in a hot summer but in the winter they'll all freeze to death.
8 March 2017, 23:35,
Seems to me that with only 12500 people left alive in the country one of your most important aims should be to establish friendly relations with everyone you can locate.
Anthropological studies show that for a tribe to be able to self sustain without getting in new members the tribe needs 872 members.
Your best bet would be putting up notices on all main roads imo.
Regarding plague we don't have a reservoir of it in this country, so very unlikely to have it here if there was a collapse.Fleas leave a dead body once it gets cold,as they can no longer drink the blood.
The suggestion that there is a rat within 20 feet of everyone is a none starter when you think about it,if it were so then you'd see them every day of your lives.I last saw one in the garden 5 years ago as it died,from .177 poisoning.
I think that we probably wouldn't be able to restart the nation with only 12500 survivors.
9 March 2017, 10:44,
Agree that setting up friendly relationships is a good idea but I'll not be posting signs.

The 10K+ survivors won't be spread proportionally across the country but will have groups. These groups will be the first you need to be a member of then eventually they will hopefully merge. However who is most likely to survive without having any preps. The chavs, the unemployed and the uneducated. They might not be too trustworthy.

By the time everything has settled down, raiders terminated, villages wiped out by a violent group looking for food it will be half that and we will still be able to rebuilt.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 March 2017, 13:11,
I agree that there would be further die offs,accidents with cars,equipment,lack of medicines and first aid knowledge,fires etc.
Suicides would account for many who were unable to find other survivors,as we are a social species and most need other people to relate to,particularly in such a situation.
Lots I think would get in their cars to go find relatives and friends,and driver far to fast as panic sets in,ending up in running out of road.
13 March 2017, 14:55,
You can't survive on your own.
ATB
Harry
13 March 2017, 15:10,
(13 March 2017, 14:55)harrypalmer Wrote: You can't survive on your own.
who says? trust the wrong person and you'll be a long time dead.