Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RADIO COMMS
28 June 2012, 23:14,
RE: RADIO COMMS
I think we need to just slow down a bit here. I'm not saying that it is the wrong way but are we sure CB is what we want as the basis for this network. I'm sure it might be worth taking a step back and considering what it is going to be used for and who is going to be using it. The CB, and PMR, ways need a lot more basestations and I think this may bite us on to bottom if we are not careful. We could end up with the kit and yet not be able to communicate with anyone outside our local area.

I'd like to treat this as a project and do it right. Let us specify what we want then the techies, LS, TL, etc. can look at what is required to meet that.

What do you think?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2012, 06:01,
100% in agreement with you SD.

It feels like we are getting some momentum here though, so we should take advantage of it to push ahead.

By push ahead, I do not mean "force a solution on our community", I mean get our community to focus on finding a do-able solution.

I'm happy to give technical advice. but ideally I think we need a PM and mediator to rationalise the various options we will have.

Lightspeed.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

29 June 2012, 09:24, (This post was last modified: 29 June 2012, 09:25 by NorthernRaider.)
I'm now realising after a very long time that like most of our kit choices our criteria for radio comms is specific to ourselves, we are all seeking equipment and radio capabilities that are in the main different and probably incompatable.

The radio manufacturing industry and the amatuer radio fans are on a completely different path ( frequency) to us, The nearest sets ups that would fulfil my needs is the current EU regulation radios that do the two UK CB bands plus the European bands, and 10 meter band, at 12 watt output, but even they dont contain PMR 446 frequencies.

Equally I see no change in the attitude among the prepper / survivalist community to seek some commonality on radios so I'm not bothering with radio systems any more. If we cannot achieve any commonality between forums and groups even when we have major experts like TL and LS helping us along I dont think we ever will make progress on this issue. We are just flagilating a deceased equine
Hah I notice Metatron is having an almost identical, well very similar discussion on UKS as well. !!!!

29 June 2012, 10:11,
NR,

I understand but unlike LS I'm not interested in a global communications network as a primary objective. I'm interested in meeting other criterion as primary with a general UK network as a nice to have if it doesn't cost too much in time and money.

Guys,

So, let me start with my specs, already posted on main site;

1 – I want day to day comms within our team/group/community

I see this being the backbone of our community communications. Used for security, work, hunting and general coordination.

2 – I want regular contact with neighbours an a needs basis for protection and business viewpoint

In a similar way as above but for a wider area. Enabling a larger community to band together for protection, aid and trade.

3 – I want regular contact with friends across the UK

More for social interaction, making arrangements and keeping up with what is going on in the outside world.

4 – I want sporadic contact with potential friends, other preppers

This is again more social in nature. I want to know what is going on from a preppers point of view and perhaps make arrangements for visits or trade. I’m much more likely to meet someone outside the are whom I have met or discussed issues with. Having a relationship, even one that is solely verbal builds up a level of trust. Not enough to hand out the keys but enough to understand their nature a little better.

5 – I want to be able to contact people coming into the area

This is more for security and safety. If you are in communication you can discuss what their intentions are. You can route them around you or to you and watch what they do. If you have set up protocols for other preppers you can identify them via that and if you have preppers you have relationships with then they can ensure that they are who they say they are.

6 – I want to receive news from outside

General reciept of news from outside. Government emergency and news channels. Normal news type radio as well as ham transmitters and longer range equipment for foreign news. A wide range of frequencies is required.

That is my list of requirements. I've also done some work on putting in place the equipment however, I'm happy for the experts to come up with a solution that allows other uses.

Finally, I will be generating a list of protocols that will allow us to communicate securely and will explain how to do it so you can do your own. I'll be careful about general access.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2012, 10:26,
I'm now wondering if all I actually need is one of those Radio Scanner thingyumabobs ?, I'm never going to be able to understand half of the technical stuff, but if i had a scanner that goes from 0 to 1300 Mhz I can listen in ???

29 June 2012, 10:30,
NR,

I want that capability as well but it is receive only. You really need two way comms for a multitude of reasons.
Skean Dhude
29 June 2012, 10:40,
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/10m-amateur...splay.html

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/10m-amateur...-5500.html

29 June 2012, 10:50,
(29 June 2012, 10:30)Skean Dhude Wrote: NR,

I want that capability as well but it is receive only. You really need two way comms for a multitude of reasons.

Only if we have a working prepper system that is piss easy to use, otherwise I may as well just listen in and grab the intel from the others broadcasts. Stop confusing me Smile

Oh BTW SD answer my E mail please

29 June 2012, 10:53,
ditto on the "system piss easy to use" as i am not a technically minded.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2012, 10:55,
Hi SD,

Just covered this off ( kind of on the other thread:
Commenting on your notes one by one

I understand but unlike LS I'm not interested in a global communications network as a primary objective.
...I already have international capability, medium range communications that I'm trying to work out at the moment.

1 – I want day to day comms within our team/group/community

Hand held UHF / VHF and PMR446 are perfect here

2 – I want regular contact with neighbours an a needs basis for protection and business viewpoint

Depends how far away the neighbours are, handheld solution above with or without enhancing antennas may work.

Alternatively a more high powered device

3 – I want regular contact with friends across the UK

Choices are lots and lots of power or collaboration with other stations to form a network in which messages can be passed from cell to cell

4 – I want sporadic contact with potential friends, other preppers

As per 2 and 3

5 – I want to be able to contact people coming into the area

Primarily as per 1, butwith security protocols.

possibly as per 2 if interaction is at a greater range

6 – I want to receive news from outside

Combination of all of the above plus a standard SW/ Mw/ FM receiver.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580