Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC pants / trousers
29 August 2012, 20:04,
RE: EDC pants / trousers
Most survival schools, outdoor pursuits centres etc all rate jeans as the worst thing you can wear when its cold and wet. Paul is spot on in that once wet they stay wet and in any kind of wind this can quickly lead to chilling and hypothermia.
I've spent a lot of time in the mountains of Scotland and lightweight quick drying are the best with a good set of waterproofs.
Afraid to say there is not 1 perfect fix all pair of trousers. I like standard combats for messing around in woods or camping out in general or roughing it as they are sturdy and can take a lot of abuse. And lets face combats look better when a bit tired and worn !!!
Lightweight walking / mountain trousers can't handle the abuse building a shelter or clambering through trees and streams hand out.
Leon__xx

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
29 August 2012, 20:08,
(29 August 2012, 20:04)Leon__xx Wrote: . And lets face combats look better when a bit tired and worn !!!

Bull manure, everyone knows combats look best when worn tight on female Israeli Golani brigade soldiers Tongue

29 August 2012, 20:18,
Bull manure, everyone knows combats look best when worn tight on female Israeli Golani brigade soldiers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok maybe I can agree on that ! Saying the=at Demi Moore looked pretty good in them too !
Leon__xx

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
29 August 2012, 20:30,
Good chap Smile but of course you are right about clothing, Denim is a nightmare when wet, not only very heavy when wet but it dont half chaff your legs as well. I like the Cragghoppers lightweight Kiwis they are reasonably tough and dry well and reasonably wind proof.

29 August 2012, 22:08,
Best prep trousers are snickers canvas plus. Really strong and robust. Best is the knee pad system, top loading and adjustable to suit. Knee pads allow you to crawl or work on your knees over long periods of time. The very best thing about snickers is they have a size fitting for every shape and size. I use the one with the extra flappy pockets that are normally inside the normal pockets but, you can pull out when needed. Gives you an extra storage space if you need it for work kit, shot gun cartridges etc. The knife button on lower right leg allows you to have a very decreit knife holder on your right leg. In a stiuation it can be drawn easily with out detection to someone to your front. I use one of these as they blend in with black verson very well. :http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-bushcraft-survival-knife-7675-p.asp.
Dependency Equals Control
29 August 2012, 22:11,
Ta for the info on the Snickers, I'll check em out.
NR

28 September 2012, 14:31,
EDC, I'd go with either a poly/cotton or a wool blend for durability.
28 September 2012, 18:21,
Jeans are pants when its wet. Major osmosis issue. Get wet at your ankles its upto your knees in seconds.
30 October 2012, 23:18,
Pro-climate water-repellant combats from Go Outdoors. £14.99. Lightweight and comfortable. Can easily be reproffed with Nikwax.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
3 November 2012, 12:25,
Personal favourite are Dickies Nranded Workwear.
Cheap £16, have enough zipped pockets etc and are very hard wearing.
The knees have pockets for knee pads, but I sew these up and just have them double skinned.
Waterproofing is easy, just wash with a Nikwax proofer