Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LS Advice again please
3 August 2012, 07:00, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2012, 07:10 by Lightspeed.)
RE: LS Advice again please
TLN

Thanks for your post. It reads well and is good common sense advice.

To reiterate and highlight for newcomers to radio, the critical points in your post are:

I can get one that serves both freqs then thats what I will get , as it covers 2 of my needs - base to mobile comms , and mobile to mobile comms that base can also listen in on. The UVR-5 should cover that with a change of antennas.

Note: Change of antennas really only needed when switching from portable to base use.

The CB will become my early warning system , not my day to day comms system , PMR will do for that.

Also good for whole local territory intelligence gathering....what's going on several hours away from you....this is the early warning that I think you mean?

No point in having a 4W CB walkie talkie if you're in the middle of the new forest.

TLN's real life knowledge of radios used in forests and valleys (glens?) is extensive. Listen to what he is telling us.

A more advanced way of linking PMR handsets up WILL be usable.

Exactly right. Advanced PMR type radios like the UV 5R allow for complex post SHTF possibilities. WE can come up with standards ( programming protocols) to share across our SUK community to facilitate this. If anyone wants this functionality, by purchasing the same grade of radios PLUS computer cable and software, we will be able to provide the programming as small upload files as e-mail attachments which will configure the radios for them automatically.

the whole Prepper net is an unworkable idea unless we all go on HAM equipment.

Hams already have a network in place ( RAYNET) we are looking to reach out to them to see what interaction is possible. You are right though, a country-wide SUK radio communications network would be too complicated to set up using PMR or CB. But localised networks, some interconnected are viable using these license free technologies.

Thank you again for comments. They are sound common sense.

LS

(2 August 2012, 09:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: I'm interested in a prepper comms system, but fortunately not tied to or reliant on one, so I guess I'm lucky I can set aside this subject and focus on other issues, it will be good to see a universally accepted very basic standard be agreed on what ever that will be. I'll just keep reading and learning from the experts and see what you come up with.

Get what you are saying and agree that radio coms is only one aspect of our prepping. It is not the be all and end all.

This whole discussion is highly focussed and a lot of folk are spending a lot of time and effort ( and money) coming up with usable solutions and advice for others. Done right this will simplify equipment choice and increase the degree of certainty that the chosen equipment will work as expected.

Please keep your comments flowing. They challenge the status quo and that's a good thing... its stops too many assumption being made.

Cheers

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 August 2012, 10:44,
We will get a good archive of useful options worked out and in time intercompatability WILL evolve. shit with input from You, Ned, Paul Martin etc we already have made more progress in the last month that we have in the last decade.

3 August 2012, 17:59, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2012, 18:10 by The Local Ned.)
[quote='Lightspeed' pid='20466' dateline='1343973659']

I can get one that serves both freqs then thats what I will get , as it covers 2 of my needs - base to mobile comms , and mobile to mobile comms that base can also listen in on. The UV5-R should cover that with a change of antennas.

Note: Change of antennas really only needed when switching from portable to base use.
Exactly my intention LS- All the PMRs can be used as mobile comms - with the added benefit that the UV5-R - with an adaptor at the antenna socket - can also be used with a base antenna.

The CB will become my early warning system , not my day to day comms system , PMR will do for that.

Also good for whole local territory intelligence gathering....what's going on several hours away from you....this is the early warning that I think you mean?

Once again spot on mate , We'll no doubt hear a lot more breakers on the CB than on PMR , so anything happening locally will be over the CB airwaves in an instant.

No point in having a 4W CB walkie talkie if you're in the middle of the new forest.

CB will still work , but its efficiency will be reduced greatly - just like PMR will be, but as I've said , if I can relay a PMR signal to a repeater then it might offset the reduction in signal strength and range.

See Below.

" Exactly right. Advanced PMR type radios like the UV5-R allow for complex post SHTF possibilities. WE can come up with standards ( programming protocols) to share across our SUK community to facilitate this. If anyone wants this functionality, by purchasing the same grade of radios PLUS computer cable and software, we will be able to provide the programming as small upload files as e-mail attachments which will configure the radios for them automatically."

Regards.

I can get one that serves both freqs then thats what I will get , as it covers 2 of my needs - base to mobile comms , and mobile to mobile comms that base can also listen in on. The UV5-R should cover that with a change of antennas.

Exactly my intention LS- All the PMRs can be used as mobile comms - with the added benefit that the UV5-R - with an adaptor at the antenna socket - can also be used with a base antenna.

Once again spot on mate , We'll no doubt hear a lot more breakers on the CB than on PMR , so anything happening locally will be over the CB airwaves in an instant.

CB will still work , but its efficiency will be reduced greatly - just like PMR will be, but as I've said , if I can relay a PMR signal to a repeater then it might offset the reduction in signal strength and range.

See Below.

" Exactly right. Advanced PMR type radios like the UV5-R allow for complex post SHTF possibilities. WE can come up with standards ( programming protocols) to share across our SUK community to facilitate this. If anyone wants this functionality, by purchasing the same grade of radios PLUS computer cable and software, we will be able to provide the programming as small upload files as e-mail attachments which will configure the radios for them automatically."

Regards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunno what happened there...post didnt appear ?

Sorry for earlier post , missed out text due to my bad formatting Sad

See Below.

-Regards.

TLN.
Here goes.....

See Below.

Regards - TLN.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
3 August 2012, 19:02,
GREMLIN ALERT Neds post went duff, I'll repost wot I can.

'The Local Ned'

See Below.

Regards.

See Below.

Regards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunno what happened there...post didnt appear ?

Sorry for earlier post , missed out text due to my bad formatting Sad

See Below.

-Regards.

TLN.
Here goes.....

See Below.

Regards - TLN.

3 August 2012, 22:38,
Sorry all.
Thought I was doing something wrong and it hadnt posted up.

My humble apologies for the uber post.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
4 August 2012, 09:46,
(3 August 2012, 22:38)The Local Ned Wrote: Sorry all.
Thought I was doing something wrong and it hadnt posted up.

My humble apologies for the uber post.

I think what happens ius if you add or subtract text from a QUOTED post and you put that text accidentally inside the "quote" boxes it for some reason doesnt post the post in a way we can see it.

I found that if I see a post from someone without any text, that if I click on the REPLY button I can see what they wrote???