Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHAMS
16 August 2012, 15:28,
SHAMS
I have just finished my prototype of my SHAMS..Survival hat and mouth scarf. I will be posting pics later on tonight, As I was doing the compartments I wondered what I could use that was waterproof and small....I came up with those little lip salve tubes...wow they are great for holding fishing hooks, needles,cotton balls soaked in vasaline,buttons etc, so I have used a few of those.
My proto type was rushed as I wanted to show you folks that I think I have cottoned on to a great idea. The SHAMS is also a water carrier Smile It has many uses and many water proof compartments in which to store emergency/handy essentials.
Please excuse the stitching, I have no machine, My scizzors wouldn't even cut butter but you will get the jist of what a SHAMS is all about. My fella says I look like a te rr orist in my SHAMS lol...Look forward to showing you all later Smile
16 August 2012, 19:31,
RE: SHAMS
for a more refined version you may want to use go tubes instead of lip salve tubes, more waterproof, still pretty cheap and all sorts of other cool stuff ^^

http://www.oscardelta.co.uk/Go_Tubes.html

anyway glad to hear your prototype's finished, cant wait to see it ^^
16 August 2012, 19:57,
The SHAMS that I have done at the mo is a light weight one, Those Go tubes look a little long? Are they heavy? Mind you, if African women can carry a pail of water on their heads, what's a few Go tubes Smile
Won't have time to post pics tonight so ASAP o.k Smile
16 August 2012, 20:16,
(16 August 2012, 19:57)Prepaday Wrote: The SHAMS that I have done at the mo is a light weight one, Those Go tubes look a little long? Are they heavy? Mind you, if African women can carry a pail of water on their heads, what's a few Go tubes Smile
Won't have time to post pics tonight so ASAP o.k Smile

well they weigh a mere 22g, so they definately arent heavy, 100% metal free and nice and waterproof, but they might be slightly too bulky? personally im quite partial to them and shall be buying about 10 or so Big Grin

no worries prepaday, we'll see it when we see it Smile
23 August 2012, 17:12,
Looks like I can't upload photos on here?
23 August 2012, 17:15,
(23 August 2012, 17:12)Prepaday Wrote: Looks like I can't upload photos on here?

use photobucket or dropbox, my 2 uploading goto's!

or i can give you my email and u can send me the pics and ill upload them Smile
23 August 2012, 17:20,
Here are some pics of my shams, Please remember I had no sewing machine and my scizzors were s...te !
23 August 2012, 17:49, (This post was last modified: 24 August 2012, 18:12 by Skvez.)

1....The scarf is squint but hay ho..

* [Image: F9DLIzjgK7wgUEiUspdZv0wb5pnTM4AYupcRaxTUCBA]

1....The scarf is squint but hay ho..
[Image: AX8X2-_tGF7lP_TMsIF1UdJ7TTZiuO4Qc557B5I_m2s]

2....A few of the items the hat holds, In the lip salve tubes, I have sewing kit, fish hooks, soaked cotton balls in Vaseline,toothpaste and shampoo...

[Image: rWCHs_1NejLwhJpWK9yE-UTgvi8Veci4qRe4AL22U3E]

3...The back of the SHAMS, This is hidden underneath when on....

[Image: ApYAMfLQN7TpJ2JMgAbrn6PFo8FfsVCswa4wcyp87gA]

4...The inside is waterproofed halfway up allowing t to hold water....

[Image: Gqabw-lIjMXnvrLlIzOKBwfhLDawSXGWQGa16NdUDtY]

5....This pocket is at the front hidden under the headband....

[Image: P5e3YGZuecu_Z_fjo-TzBE7EJ_0_nBq8RcDei6b3JBw]

.6...Looks like a normal bag, headband has 2 open parts to allow to carry like a bag.

[Image: 5aNk-6fusgUGf4rjdcyotro7tKW7zTvI2xnx8iwmYXw]

I have since altered the Shams and added poppers at the bottom so that it clips together for a snugger fit. It’s nice and warm when wearing....This Shams took 3 hours to make and is a rushed prototype. I will take care in making the next one and use fishing wire to sew and not black thread

all words an pics are prepadays, i just uploaded thems Smile

[Skvez: Edit to fix first image]
24 August 2012, 05:38,
is it just me or are those pictures not showing up?
24 August 2012, 09:01,
They were on last night, H put them on for me, He said he will downsize them today as they took up almost the whole page Sad