Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best Tinder
19 November 2012, 20:48,
The Best Tinder
Hey, I have recently been using cotton wool soaked in methylated spirits or white spirit for tinder. It burns very nicely with a spark from a flint. But does anyone have any other cotton wool tinder ideas, maybe wax etc?
19 November 2012, 20:57, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 20:58 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: The Best Tinder
The problem with cotton wool and meths / spirits is the meths / spirits evoporates , but if you soak the cotton wool balls in Vaseline and store em in a sealed bag or tube they last for decades and burn tree times as long as the light spirits do.
Belly button fluff and fluff from tumble drier filters also makes fabulous tinder.

19 November 2012, 21:02,
nr will petroleum jelly do the same job
19 November 2012, 21:12,
(19 November 2012, 21:02)Straight Shooter Wrote: nr will petroleum jelly do the same job

Yeah I tried using something similar to KY jelly based on petroleum jelly but it still evaporates in time where as Vaseline tends to form a skin over itself that slows down or stops the evap much more.

19 November 2012, 21:16,
thanks nr vaseline it is then boyo
19 November 2012, 22:40,
I saw someone use Vaseline on doomsday preppers it look very good? Not sure how everyone feels about that show but I quite like it
19 November 2012, 22:50,
Vaseline works for me but I am currently exploring making char rope but have not succeeded in making it right yet. Once I find the right way to do it, I will carry both char rope and cotten balls in vaseline.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
19 November 2012, 23:10,
Domsday Preppers is certainly very `American`,... but there are quiet a few good ideas on show,... I like it too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 November 2012, 23:35,
(19 November 2012, 23:10)Highlander Wrote: Domsday Preppers is certainly very `American`,... but there are quiet a few good ideas on show,... I like it too

Unfortunately Nat Geo on the 28th of this month are doing a British edition of the show, and from what I'm hearing it makes us look pretty stupid, well at least them on the show!!. I hope not TBH.

20 November 2012, 00:05,
(19 November 2012, 23:35)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(19 November 2012, 23:10)Highlander Wrote: Domsday Preppers is certainly very `American`,... but there are quiet a few good ideas on show,... I like it too

Unfortunately Nat Geo on the 28th of this month are doing a British edition of the show, and from what I'm hearing it makes us look pretty stupid, well at least them on the show!!. I hope not TBH.

Yes, I have made a not to watch it,..and hope that I will be pleasently suprised,... but somehow I doubt it,..I am sure you will be right,.. we will be made to look like nutcases,..another reason for invisablity
A major part of survival is invisibility.