Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The naughty tesco post got me exploring.
7 December 2012, 22:51,
RE: The naughty tesco post got me exploring.
(7 December 2012, 19:03)bigpaul Wrote: if its got SOYA in it then it IS GM.....all soya is GM!!

This is not true at all. Very few products for human consumption in the UK have GM ingredients. They are:

1. KTC cooking oil
2. Hershey's Nutrageous chocolate bars
3. Pride cooking oil
4. Schwartz Seasoned Salad Topping
5. General Mills Bacos Bacon Flavour Soya chips

These products are available because they were brought out before legislation on GM food was. Any new foods have to go through a scientific testing and regulatory approval process and it is expensive, so I believe no new GM foods are available. If they are, they have to be very clearly labeled GM.

There are however, no restrictions on animals feeds and GM other than organic cannot be fed GM. My local feed and corn merchant stocks loads of GM animal feeds.
8 December 2012, 01:37,
I don't buy from Tescos, Asda, Costco etc. I use Suma and our local food co-operative. Until the SHTF and the local economy changes in a way I don't yet know I have no wish to fill any pockets other than local ones. I am not rich with bottomless pockets but I will make do with what I can access (in bulk) . One day you may need your food co-op, your veg box supplier (and no Riverford is NOT local) your local farmer if you don't support them now they may not be there when you need them.
8 December 2012, 08:26,
I would love to shop only with local suppliers & independent shops but

(1) Tesco is literally a 3 minute drive away.

And

(2) If tesco want £1 for something & the independent shop wants £1.50, over the course of a month (roughly £250 to £300 on food shopping), its quite a saving I make.

To me it's like when people tell me I should only eat organic food. I would love to but sadly the cost stops me. I do grow some of my own food using my own compost & grow as organically as possible. If people haven't done so already, home grown spuds make the best chips I have ever tasted.
8 December 2012, 11:11,
(8 December 2012, 08:26)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I would love to shop only with local suppliers & independent shops but

And

(2) If tesco want £1 for something & the independent shop wants £1.50, over the course of a month (roughly £250 to £300 on food shopping), its quite a saving I make.

To me it's like when people tell me I should only eat organic food. I would love to but sadly the cost stops me. I do grow some of my own food using my own compost & grow as organically as possible. If people haven't done so already, home grown spuds make the best chips I have ever tasted.

I used supply my local butcher with venison at £1 per pound, he would sell it for £8 per pound, so I now keep it for myself. Everyone local and independant I know drives a bigger car and owns a better house than me, so I owe them nothing, I owe it to my family and myself to provide what I can at the best price, that's a shame I know, but I can't afford to do anything else.Sad

In wartime Stalingrad they ate horses and dogs and even at the end turned to eating the dead. Survival is a dirty business.Wink
8 December 2012, 17:54, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 17:55 by Houndlover.)
(8 December 2012, 11:11)SealDriver Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 08:26)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I would love to shop only with local suppliers & independent shops but

And

I used supply my local butcher with venison at £1 per pound, he would sell it for £8 per pound, so I now keep it for myself. Everyone local and independant I know drives a bigger car and owns a better house than me, so I owe them nothing, I owe it to my family and myself to provide what I can at the best price, that's a shame I know, but I can't afford to do anything else.Sad

In wartime Stalingrad they ate horses and dogs and even at the end turned to eating the dead. Survival is a dirty business.Wink
I agree sd I happily sold any excess rabbits to a local butcher for. Pound each not much but was a bit extra to go towards the dogs funds untill I found he was selling them for a fiver each!! Now I'm no mug my dogs worked hard to catch them and I wasn't letting them go lightly so now they stay in my freezer and get used as and when shame really but it's a cut throat world out there these days and gone are the days where folks are willing to help anyone out!
8 December 2012, 17:59, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 18:02 by Geordie_Rob.)
I can understand the need to mark things up to cover overheads but 5-7 times more than the price you pay for stock is plain old greed.

Maybe not the best idea going local independent after all!!!
(8 December 2012, 17:54)Houndlover Wrote:

And

I agree sd I happily sold any excess rabbits to a local butcher for. Pound each not much but was a bit extra to go towards the dogs funds untill I found he was selling them for a fiver each!! Now I'm no mug my dogs worked hard to catch them and I wasn't letting them go lightly so now they stay in my freezer and get used as and when shame really but it's a cut throat world out there these days and gone are the days where folks are willing to help anyone out!

It might be an idea to put an advert onto gumtree offering them for sale "fresh whole rabbit meat for use as pet food or similar".

You never know, it might work.
8 December 2012, 19:20,
(8 December 2012, 17:59)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I can understand the need to mark things up to cover overheads but 5-7 times more than the price you pay for stock is plain old greed.

And

It might be an idea to put an advert onto gumtree offering them for sale "fresh whole rabbit meat for use as pet food or similar".

Might be an idea as I do need to empty the freezer really Wink
8 December 2012, 20:52,
(8 December 2012, 17:59)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I can understand the need to mark things up to cover overheads but 5-7 times more than the price you pay for stock is plain old greed.

And

Well if you were up here I would buy them, I feed my dogs a raw diet, but rabbit is a bit scarce around here
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2012, 20:58,
(8 December 2012, 20:52)Highlander Wrote:

And

Well if you were up here I would buy them, I feed my dogs a raw diet, but rabbit is a bit scarce around here
Where are u Highlander? I feed them to my guys but could really do with getting rid of a few just thought if u r not close I could ask the zoo if they want someWink
8 December 2012, 21:04,
I am up in Argyll, about 50 miles west of Fort William,... Jacobite country
A major part of survival is invisibility.