Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Salting Butter to Preserve it
5 January 2013, 06:54,
Salting Butter to Preserve it
1. Buy firm Salted Butter. Sterilize jars (Jam, Honey,etc), when cool press the butter in to the jars until 1cm from the jar top, then fill with dry salt to the rim and srew on the lid.
2. Another way. Cut Butter into cubes and place in sterilised 1lb Jars. Boil water and add two Tablespoons of salt per cup of water. Let the water cool before adding to the butter in the jars. Close the lid and keep in a cool dark place.
After time the taste of butter will become stronger but will remain edible. Occassionally butter is found in the bog and can still be eaten. Kenneth Eames.
5 January 2013, 13:14,
RE: Salting Butter to Preserve it
it maybe better to put some plastic bag on the top of the jar to stop the lid from corossion (if metal lid.......how long will it last ? kenneth ....another great post thanks
5 January 2013, 14:44,
Thank you that, its a great post,... I usualy `snapshot` these little snippets and save them to a `Preper folder`
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 January 2013, 16:23,
Straight Shooter, It should last indefinitely if kept cool and dark. Buried in a Bog it can last hundreds of years. Over a number of years, people digging peats have found butter in the Bog and it's been edible. Highlander, I keep a large number of Notebooks containing Recpes, Herbal remedies and Formulae, etc. Kenneth Eames.
5 January 2013, 16:34,
(5 January 2013, 16:23)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Highlander, I keep a large number of Notebooks containing Recpes, Herbal remedies and Formulae, etc. Kenneth Eames.

Thank you, when you get the time, may we request a few of them,.. they are always very helpful
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 January 2013, 17:00,
The funny thing is , i was looking at the cheese post....wifey been asking to have a look if i could see how cheese and butter can be stored the other day...and here they are! 2 great posts both practical and very useful..and great for new and old preppers, like highlander i save to favorits ,then write them out into my little pocket sized book.....MORE posts like these please kenneth.....this is what its all about.....many thanks!
5 January 2013, 17:15,
(5 January 2013, 06:54)Kenneth Eames Wrote: 1. Buy firm Salted Butter. Sterilize jars (Jam, Honey,etc), when cool press the butter in to the jars until 1cm from the jar top, then fill with dry salt to the rim and srew on the lid.
2. Another way. Cut Butter into cubes and place in sterilised 1lb Jars. Boil water and add two Tablespoons of salt per cup of water. Let the water cool before adding to the butter in the jars. Close the lid and keep in a cool dark place.
After time the taste of butter will become stronger but will remain edible. Occassionally butter is found in the bog and can still be eaten. Kenneth Eames.

Thank you Kenneth this is one of the more important bits of info that I will put to use.
6 January 2013, 15:15,
(5 January 2013, 06:54)Kenneth Eames Wrote: 1. Buy firm Salted Butter. Sterilize jars (Jam, Honey,etc), when cool press the butter in to the jars until 1cm from the jar top, then fill with dry salt to the rim and srew on the lid.

cheers KE how long do you think it will last , and when you say bog wot do you mean cheers pal
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
6 January 2013, 18:52,
Hello Barneyboy, Bog is Bogland or Swampy Land. As previously stated, it can last many years. Butter buried in the Bog has lasted for centuries. If it is kept cool and is kept out of the light I would expect it to last for centuries. In Ireland especially, Bog butter is prized. Occassionally it is dug from the Bog and used by the people who find it. Some people say it is better than Fresh Butter. Kenneth Eames.
6 January 2013, 19:54, (This post was last modified: 6 January 2013, 20:06 by Barneyboy.)
are you jokeing, if not bloody hell centuries ,never heard of it

here we are i'll be damned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3ORRox_z8
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!