Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adapting to the circumstances.
17 May 2013, 08:53,
©NR 2013

I have decided to adapt my preps again after receiving numerous news articles and pieces of intel which are causing me some concern.

In summary they are
A threat of a General strike this summer, this could tip the economy into a depression of the type not seen since the early 20th century. This could mirror the strikes of the 1970s and lead to fuel and food shortages, mob violence, uncollected rubbish, unburied dead and civil unrest. All the ingredients are in place and I think it will only take some decent warm weather to act as a trigger.
Reports from various parts about a shortage of fire wood for wood burning stoves compounded by the uncertainty over the generation of mains power supplies (All the players expected to build the new nuclear power stations are either dropping out or are considering dropping out, BUT the obsolete power stations are still set to close.
I don’t think we have seen the end of the Euro crisis and the dissent it is breeding, when the weather picks up for the summer we could see some real nastiness in the PIGS countries.
The government’s announcement via the media yesterday hidden behind the news of Maggie Ts funeral about “possible severe food shortages” and rapidly rising food prices and HMG openly for the first time since WW2 encouraging people to start growing their own food as fast as possible.
The sliding price of gold bullion is disturbing the stock exchanges and I don’t know what is going on??
The UK economy is in real terms stagnating this will breed more dissent from the public sector.
Its April and the farmers are still struggling to plant crops, many report they will only be able to produce as little as a third of their normal produce, this is now 2 ½ years of bad weather and poor harvests, something is going to give I think??

So it is my intention to try AGAIN to grow food stuffs I can preserve, I may even need to hire a yoof or amateur gardener to convert my back garden.

I am currently doubling the amount of fire wood I stockpile, it’s my intent to give over half of my conservatory to fuel storage on top of the wood already stored in the garage and garden.
I intend to get another two 7KG bottles of propane to add to the six I already have.
I’m desperately trying to find funds and space to increase my stocks of foodstuffs.

I still cannot get my act together over breeding rabbits and chooks though, not sure what the mental block is over this issue.

The new vehicle is going to allow me to get further afield again building closer ties with other preppers and off-gridders

And
As a security issue I am greatly increasing the amount of security kit (bows, air rifles, knives, batons and improvised tools)

Family security concerns are being revisited and adapted emergency plans being developed that will ensure everyone knows what to do in a crisis and where to go.

I would be very keen to hear what other preppers are thinking and doing at the moment?
NR
17 May 2013, 13:52,
RE: Adapting to the circumstances.
That's a broad spread of rumblings NR. Can you give a bit more on No 4? I didn't see that - where was it? With thanks...

17 May 2013, 20:17,
(17 May 2013, 08:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: Adapting to the circumstances.
©NR 2013

I have decided to adapt my preps again after receiving numerous news articles and pieces of intel which are causing me some concern.

In summary they are
A threat of a General strike this summer, this could tip the economy into a depression of the type not seen since the early 20th century. This could mirror the strikes of the 1970s and lead to fuel and food shortages, mob violence, uncollected rubbish, unburied dead and civil unrest. All the ingredients are in place and I think it will only take some decent warm weather to act as a trigger.

I hear rumblings that our anarchist kiddies will be raising hell over in the US this summer. Not good news for the folks in big cities.

Quote:2
Reports from various parts about a shortage of fire wood for wood burning stoves compounded by the uncertainty over the generation of mains power supplies (All the players expected to build the new nuclear power stations are either dropping out or are considering dropping out, BUT the obsolete power stations are still set to close.

Start stocking up now on wood. Junk wood pallets and even old disgarded books will burn and provide heat. There are instructions on the internet on how to wet down old newspapers and roll them into logs and let them dry in your garage or basement. The trick is, you have to start gathering newspapers now to have enough.

Quote:3
I don’t think we have seen the end of the Euro crisis and the dissent it is breeding, when the weather picks up for the summer we could see some real nastiness in the PIGS countries.

Word is that one of the PIGS (my guess is Italy or Spain) will collapse this summer. Unfortunately, the first one to go will take everybody down, including the USA

Quote:4
The government’s announcement via the media yesterday hidden behind the news of Maggie Ts funeral about “possible severe food shortages” and rapidly rising food prices and HMG openly for the first time since WW2 encouraging people to start growing their own food as fast as possible.

We've had good spring rains here in Texas, but there are several drought areas. I doubt that we'll have food shortages here, but the prices will go up. I'm stashing rice, beans, lentils, whole wheat and cornmeal.

Quote:5
The sliding price of gold bullion is disturbing the stock exchanges and I don’t know what is going on??

The prices of gold and silver on the exchanges is being manipulated. No one can get gold or silver coins at that price! The London Bullion Market/US COMEX prices have completely decoupled from the prices of physical metal. This is another sign that the world economies are about to crash

Quote:6
The UK economy is in real terms stagnating this will breed more dissent from the public sector.

Same in the US - wages stagnate while prices go up!

Quote:7
Its April and the farmers are still struggling to plant crops, many report they will only be able to produce as little as a third of their normal produce, this is now 2 ½ years of bad weather and poor harvests, something is going to give I think??

And when it does, give thanks you're not in Greece or Cyprus

Quote:So it is my intention to try AGAIN to grow food stuffs I can preserve, I may even need to hire a yoof or amateur gardener to convert my back garden.

I am currently doubling the amount of fire wood I stockpile, it’s my intent to give over half of my conservatory to fuel storage on top of the wood already stored in the garage and garden.
I intend to get another two 7KG bottles of propane to add to the six I already have.
I’m desperately trying to find funds and space to increase my stocks of foodstuffs.

Good moves! There are publications available from WWII which give a lot of recipes that can be made with WWII rations. It might be a good idea to download and print these out.

Quote:I still cannot get my act together over breeding rabbits and chooks though, not sure what the mental block is over this issue.

There is an article floating around on the net about raising guinea pigs for food. It might be worth researching. They require little space and no special food yet are rich in protein.

Quote:The new vehicle is going to allow me to get further afield again building closer ties with other preppers and off-gridders

We don't have a new vehicle, but I just replaced the tires with the best I could buy, and all the maintenance work is up-to-date. Getting vehicles prepped is a great idea.

Quote:And
As a security issue I am greatly increasing the amount of security kit (bows, air rifles, knives, batons and improvised tools).

Remember, the bad guys probably will have guns. If you and your friends can take out a couple of looters or thugs, you will of course get their firearms as well.

Quote:Family security concerns are being revisited and adapted emergency plans being developed that will ensure everyone knows what to do in a crisis and where to go.

I would be very keen to hear what other preppers are thinking and doing at the moment?
NR

We're doing pretty much what you outlined in your post!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
17 May 2013, 20:27,
Sharing many of your concerns, NR. The message to start growing your own really spooked me. What do they know?

A general uneasiness pervades everything at the moment - I'm on high alert......
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 May 2013, 20:54,
Was in the city centre on wed and noticed north east anarchy stickers on cash points, couldnt read them properly as someone had tried to peel them off. Somethings brewing, people are getting pissed with taxes,unemployment ect

I think fuel,heating and food are going to sky rocket in price and going be shortages
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
17 May 2013, 21:27,
Stickers like these? http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2013/02/506710.html
17 May 2013, 21:41,
I can also see all the things you mentioned too, it will pay to keep our eyes fully open for the next couple of years and do what we can to stave off the worst of it all.

My dad was a big Gardener, I was always the one who wasn't interested,.. but even I have a polly tunnel on the go right now, and I planted fruit trees
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 May 2013, 21:52,
Franc bulk of it was ripped off, so it could have been
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
17 May 2013, 21:56,
(17 May 2013, 13:52)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: That's a broad spread of rumblings NR. Can you give a bit more on No 4? I didn't see that - where was it? With thanks...

Here you go Sir,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...risis.html
17 May 2013, 22:32,
NR are you doing these changes in place of some present preps or along with/in addition too the present preps?