Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simplified wine making
25 November 2013, 21:00,
Simplified wine making
Used this method literally hundreds of times over the years.

I use 2 pans which when full of liquid will fill a demi-john, add your fruit/vegetables and boil for approx 15/20 mins. Remove fruit/veg and add 1kg of sugar between the 2 and allow to simmer for 10 mins. Add to demi-john and allow to cool before adding yeast, add air lock and fermentation will take approx a month outside of winter temps.

To further simplify I've used regular bottles to ferment wine with no air lock and only a cloth laid over it to keep out flys.

Always used Youngs wine yeast (because its the cheapest available locally to me) and never had any issues with it. Was once gave a tub of Youngs yeast which was 8 years past its use by date and brewed up fine so wine yeast keeps well beyond the UBD
15 September 2018, 22:31,
RE: Simplified wine making
(25 November 2013, 21:00)Oimccoy Wrote: Used this method literally hundreds of times over the years.

I use 2 pans which when full of liquid will fill a demi-john, add your fruit/vegetables and boil for approx 15/20 mins. Remove fruit/veg and add 1kg of sugar between the 2 and allow to simmer for 10 mins. Add to demi-john and allow to cool before adding yeast, add air lock and fermentation will take approx a month outside of winter temps.

To further simplify I've used regular bottles to ferment wine with no air lock and only a cloth laid over it to keep out flys.

Always used Youngs wine yeast (because its the cheapest available locally to me) and never had any issues with it. Was once gave a tub of Youngs yeast which was 8 years past its use by date and brewed up fine so wine yeast keeps well beyond the UBD
yeah this is right for making the wines excellent.......
29 October 2018, 17:40,
I am going to try this method ...just picked up the thread .
31 October 2018, 17:29,
Started some parsnip wine today using this method ...will let you know how it turns out ....will try some other wine this week also raspberry and what ever is on offer.
3 November 2018, 17:00,
Made some raspberry wine this morning just finished a batch of gooseberry wine....will do some rhubarb wine tomorrow getting a nice little stock together of traditional wines.
5 November 2018, 01:16,
Not having a press (to extract juice) i boiled up some apples, strained the mash and it’s now in a demijohn with some yeast.

It has only just started to ferment and as yet i don’t know whether it will be warm enough where it is.

Normally the demijohns are kept at the side of the little wenlock but it hasn’t been cold enough to light it yet.

When fermentation has finished i will try to “Jack up” the alcohol level.
21 November 2018, 21:09,
The parsnip wine is now bottled up ,I racked off twice made six bottles ..looking good ,set aside to age, nice and clear (used finnings) the rassberry,gooseberry and rhubarb will be up next to bottle up! .

On another front.....going to get a still about £200 could be a good barter producing bit of kit ...any ideas ? .
23 April 2019, 20:42,
(21 November 2018, 21:09)Straight Shooter Wrote: The parsnip wine is now bottled up ,I racked off twice made six bottles ..looking good ,set aside to age, nice and clear (used finnings) the rassberry,gooseberry and rhubarb will be up next to bottle up! .

I hope it's as good as your Elderflower Cordial.
23 April 2019, 22:52,
(5 November 2018, 01:16)Pete Grey Wrote: Not having a press (to extract juice) i boiled up some apples, strained the mash and it’s now in a demijohn with some yeast.

It has only just started to ferment and as yet i don’t know whether it will be warm enough where it is.

Normally the demijohns are kept at the side of the little wenlock but it hasn’t been cold enough to light it yet.

When fermentation has finished i will try to “Jack up” the alcohol level.

It was a dismal failure, next time will just freeze them as we usually do, lesson learned.
24 April 2019, 09:56,
To be honest Steve , I have not tried any of the wine yet ! (from those batches) …..but people who have say its beautiful and full blooded , I will wait another six months before I crack one open.

I have been given plenty of empty wine bottles ready for this years batch , I have plenty of sugar saved up and all other ancillaries in readiness . I have not got around to the still yet, I am having a change of heart TBH ….I get friends who call into enough shit with the beer and wine (as quoted by wild child)………..I am glad you enjoyed the elderflower Steve.