Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dominant animal species?
27 May 2014, 00:56,
Dominant animal species?
WTSHTF, what do you think will be the dominant animal species within the first year of life post SHTF....obviously aside from humans....and I do mean in the UK.

Please note, I mean hunt-able species, not insects. It is in the hunting section.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 May 2014, 10:05,
RE: Dominant animal species?
Rats!

Followed by Magpies and Crows.

All eating rubbish and rotting flesh.

In the first year I don't really think most mammals will increase in number as they will be widely hunted, but over a longer period of time I think Deer have the potential to increase significantly. You only have to look at what happened at the sanctuary set up by the League Against Cruel Sports on Exmoor:

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Hunt...3ZL5ZWI.99
27 May 2014, 10:06,
Rabbits!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
27 May 2014, 14:18,
they will be mostly what you see now as roadkill, mainly deer and badgers, rabbits will increase until they get mixy then die off again(it goes in cycles), definitely more rats, lots and lots of rats.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 May 2014, 16:27,
Domestic cats and dogs gone feral. I wouldn't turn my nose up at either in a nice stew.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
27 May 2014, 17:26,
Once again, you are using "SHTF" as if it were a defined term with measurable stages at specific intervals.

what if SHTF is an uncontrollable outbreak of Hoof and Mouth or non-human anthrax, that kills every mammal in GB and leaves the human population intact?
27 May 2014, 17:29,
then we'll all turn into bloody vegetarians!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 May 2014, 23:49,
Far too many ponderables and possible scenarios to make an educated guess Scythe to be honest. Perhaps if you could structure your proposition with a more specific event we could debate with more certainty.
28 May 2014, 09:39,
(27 May 2014, 23:49)Tartar Horde Wrote: Far too many ponderables and possible scenarios to make an educated guess Scythe to be honest. Perhaps if you could structure your proposition with a more specific event we could debate with more certainty.

You know how much I love uncertainty's variability. Certain people have a certain bias, e.g. we all know BP expects about a 90% die off, so his response will be the result of that view. Comments about the possibility of a huge viral outbreak also show new perspectives that some people may not have thought about. The domestic animals and even farm animals element might be a new thought to others still. Same as the scavengers, or the the breeding speed of a species.

For me, at least, the uncertainty allows people a wider scope, which could bring more information into play.

The possibility of zoo animals escaping or being released is also a huge element. Lions at places like Longleat are capable of surviving UK winters at the moment. So WTSHTF, if they escape (EMP, their doors are opened, no electrical fences, etc) they would be able to survive very well, properly adapted, and within a few generations, if not just 1 or even the current generation, they could be very much a dominant threat. Plenty of prey species for them, e.g. horses, cows, etc.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 May 2014, 11:46, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2014, 11:48 by bigpaul.)
oh no not the zoo animals ....again!!!

we have enough escaped animals in the wild already, let loose when the licencing was brought in or escaped courtesy of the Animal Liberation lot, a few more wont make much of a difference.