Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Bottles
13 December 2014, 13:35,
Water Bottles
For years I've been using Sigg or Sigg style aluminium water bottles.

[Image: holidaysiggbottles.jpg]

Anyway I always get the same problem with them in that the threaded bits both on the metal and the plastic lid always get manky and corroded even after a relatively short period of time.

I've tried various plastic ones, but they all tend to leak at one time or another and also plastic ones do not tend to keep the contents as cools, whilst the plastic threads also tend to get worn and as with the Sigg bottles, this wear/corrosion is likely to be the point at which if it isn't cleaned really really thoroughly, will result in potential bacteria each growing and then causing illness/infections, especially after TSHTF.

So moving on, for the last 6 months, I've been using a couple of Klean Kanteens, and these are simply great.

[Image: KLEAN_KANTEEN_NEWSPOST.jpg]

The main differences being they are Stainless Steel throughout; they have a wide open neck which helps to not only fill them, but to clean them and the design of the thread is the complete opposite of all other water bottles - instead of lots of tiny thin threads, they have a few big large rounded threads which means that there is no possibility of cross threading; no sharp edges which cut/wear out the threads; no deep groves which cannot be cleaned/disinfected.

You can also swap the plastic lids for stainless ones as well.

[Image: accessories_caps_classic2_vert.jpg]

So if you want a no hassle, easy to clean reliable water bottle, these are now my choice every time and are far superior to the old Sigg or any plastic bottle Big Grin
13 December 2014, 14:17,
RE: Water Bottles
Good find, I like it, I've been using the triangular water bottles that are similar to the SIgs but sold by Mountain Warehouse, I think when they wear out I'll give the Kleen Kanteen a go. HOWEVER as we all know that COPPER is anti bacterial naturally I and currently looking for some copper or copper coated water bottles but someone else says water stored a long time in copper is bad for you. So I'm also looking to see if anyone makes water bottles out of Bacterioban plastic.

13 December 2014, 14:38,
I have about half a dozen of the standard army bottles(ex surplus) I also have a "Western Style" round canteen-holds 3 pints.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 December 2014, 14:57,
so being stainless you can put them into the edge of a fire to boil water in them?
13 December 2014, 16:19,
look good....what size are the ones in the pic and how much are they?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
13 December 2014, 16:22, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2014, 16:29 by Devonian.)
(13 December 2014, 14:57)Tartar Horde Wrote: so being stainless you can put them into the edge of a fire to boil water in them?

Yes, as long as you get the plain stainless one, the coloured/painted ones would probably ruin the coating and give off some fumes, but the plain (unpainted) stainless one should be fine.

I have a titanium mug which the bottle sits in, so I'd probably just use that to heat the water over a fire.

(13 December 2014, 16:19)Midnitemo Wrote: look good....what size are the ones in the pic and how much are they?

I've got 800ml ones which cost £13.95 from Heinnie Haynes

http://www.heinnie.com/klean-kanteen-800...-sport-cap

But there are lots of different sizes available, Heinnie also do a 1.2L for £18.95 and a 532mL for £12.95 etc....

But plenty of other outdoor shops do them as well, as do Amazon, so shop around and see what deals are on......
13 December 2014, 17:37,
I've got one of the larger stainless steel Klean kanteens, they are very good, no plastic in contact with the water. Quite noisy to open though.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
25 April 2020, 07:03,
To enable the Kleen Kanteen to be placed in open flames/fire pit, make a loop around neck with Stainless steel fishing leader wire, crimp this with alloy or copper crimp. Make another loop with excess wire and crimp this.
Kind of a figure 8.
You can now place or lift canteen out of fire with fork or stick.