Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 July 2016, 15:49,
RE: -26
I don't know where you live Mortblanc but if in the States the Army 'Bunny Boots' certainly used to be cheap enough? Cheap enough to buy for the few days a year of sub zero temps you have perhaps?

I've got the white and black versions, the white are good, not struck that much on the black versions.
ATB
Harry
8 July 2016, 20:14,
The White ones are the "bunny boots". They are rated down to -50c.

The black ones are known as "Micky Mouse boots" and are only rated down to -28c

They are widely available on the surplus market over here but only used in the northern tier of states, Alaska and Canada because the rest of our nation simply does not have cold deep enough to justify their frequent use.

My forced outdoor expeditions during such extreme weather conditions that they would be required only include walking to get the post. I distinctly remember looking out the window as the post lady placed the normal handful of notices in my mailbox last winter and deciding they could wait until a more pleasant moment for retrieval.

I have reached bad weather nirvana. I am retired, I don't have to go out in bad weather if I do not want too.

Don't let all the naysayers get to you. Retirement is the best thing humans ever invented!
8 July 2016, 22:20,
The MM boots are terrible for mobility if you must cover any distance in snowshoes or skis. They are fine for standing watch in one location watching your perimeter and guarding your assigned aircraft.

For winter movement I always preferred the rubber-bottomed shoe-pacs with leather tops and removable boiled wool felt liners. The usual drill was to wear a silk liner sock next to the skin, a merino wool sock over that and then to insert your foot into the felt liner. A Gortex gaiter strapped under the instep and around the ankle went over the boot top up to about 10cm below the knee. There was no impairment to circulation or freedom of movement and they were plenty warm enough to -25 C. Fortunately I never needed them below that.

It was normal practice to change out liners and socks daily and we carried two sets of spares. One to be wearing, one to be freeze-drying under the pack cover, and a dry third sealed in an Alosak waterproof bag to change into at night. Before bed we'd wash out the ones we had been wearing, move the freeze-dried ones from out pack to our pillow sack in the sleeping bag, to warm up with tomorrow's change of skivvies, base layer and bandanna, and the snow-washed ones tied up and hung for the night.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA