Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Defence in the UK ( comment)
19 October 2015, 20:58,
RE: Self Defence in the UK ( comment)
I hadn't thought about that. NR, quite a good idea. A brolly in the sunshine though....?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 October 2015, 21:59,
One of those umbrellas is pretty pricey too NR. Nice to have, and triple usage (keeps the rain off, can use as walking stick, fend off hoards of rampaging studenty left wing types) - as Mary pointed out, do look a bit out of place in summer, but then I suppose here you can never really guarantee a dry day.

I'd quite like one of those push-the-button and the shaft extends umbrellas, but with a seriously beefed up spring. Shock tactic before you commence beatings.
19 October 2015, 22:01,
Its the UK for heavens sake Smile if its not raining its about too Smile but if its sunny just call your brolly a parasol Smile

20 October 2015, 09:14,
the first point about self defence here in the UK should be to be "situationally aware" of what is going on around you, most people are not, they are too wrapped up in their technology and do not see what is going on around them until it is too late, do some "people watching" and if you don't like what is going on then get the hell out of there! violence should be an act of last resort when you have used up all other options.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 October 2015, 17:44, (This post was last modified: 20 October 2015, 18:20 by BeardyMan.)
(20 October 2015, 09:14)bigpaul Wrote: the first point about self defence here in the UK should be to be "situationally aware" of what is going on around you, most people are not, they are too wrapped up in their technology and do not see what is going on around them until it is too late

This I understand fully. The amount of people I had bounce off me when walking to and from the tube stations, I can see them coming (I look where I'm going, not at my phone) but they're too busy checking TardFace or some other unsocial network. Sometimes I'll stop walking and wait for them to crash into me, other times I pull my bag round to the front and use it as a bumper. Normally greeted with a shocked expression, sometimes anger 'why did you walk into me?' - 'well, fuckknuckle, had you managed to drag your head out of your arse long enough to look in front of you I suppose you would have seen me walking here'
That's for the ones that understand English anyway.
(11 September 2015, 19:05)Sunna Wrote: oh no no oh god no.....not ww3 again .

n a t o v who....?

nato would kick everybodys ass

WTF is my phone doing??? Dunno how that post from Sunna got dropped in there? Weird.
20 October 2015, 20:05,
Tardface very good Big Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
20 October 2015, 20:17,
In the absence of anythinbg nicely sharp to carry, how about a can of something horrible. Actually, hairspray is quite good, as is deodorant or bodyspray. A sharp squirt in the face, preferably in the eye area, could do an assailant a world of good.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 February 2024, 14:46,
(20 October 2015, 20:17)MaryN Wrote: In the absence of anythinbg nicely sharp to carry, how about a can of something horrible. Actually, hairspray is quite good, as is deodorant or bodyspray. A sharp squirt in the face, preferably in the eye area, could do an assailant a world of good.

In the UK, the law on self defence is both suitably vague and punishing.
Anything used or carried for the purpose of self defence, is defined as an offensive weapon.
A pencil to write with, is a pencil, a pencil carried as self defence, is an offensive weapon and you're nicked.
So, whatever you carry must be easily explainable and you must never use the words "as self defence". You may use it in an emergency to defend yourself cos it's all you had but you don't carry it for that purpose.

Self defence has to be reasonable, proportionate and necessary anything else, is assault or wounding, or manslaughter, if he dies. What he was up to is irrelevant.

You must also be "in reasonable fear" and it must be you "honestly held belief" remember those words.

You did not give him what he deserved, or gave him a tasty. You were "in real fear and it was your honest belief he was trying to hurt/kill you or others"

Remember that and only that, also when you've made the situation safe, stop. Everything else is assault and will get you nicked.

The cops are not your friends, they don't sympathise with you.
18 February 2024, 14:56,
I've had people take one look at me and go the other way, one person tried to crash through a shop window to avoid me and I hadnt said one word and was minding my own business, I've even seen off potential attackers by folding my arms and standing still and not speaking, its all in the attitude.
of course you have to be aware of what is going on around you and many arent.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.