Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethinking the best home defense weapons: a look at the .22
3 November 2015, 20:47,
RE: Rethinking the best home defense weapons: a look at the .22
I live in a standard two up two down .I'm just not seeing the unwieldy side of things here.I've walked my house with my guns.I just can't see how it would be overly cumbersome to use the shotgun indoors.
I have a spear that I could happily navigate my house with.
There's been discussions on using a crossbow for defense.

I may very well be in the minority, but I'm just not seeing how a standard length shotgun would be too cumbersome to use indoors. My house isn't large.I have no problem navigating it with a full length semi auto.
I could navigate it with a brown Bess complete with a bayonet.Use the tools and adapt to the environment.
3 November 2015, 20:55, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 20:57 by Midnitemo.)
in a 2 up 2 down how do you come down the stairs and enter either the kitchen or the parlour without the muzzle arriving 10 minutes before you...some body could grab it and disarm you while you were still on the usually very narrow , steep and enclosed stairs?

that's an example of unwieldy.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 November 2015, 20:58, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 21:17 by NorthernRaider.)
I agree and understand Talon it IS quite OK to go with clearing your house with a spear or full length shotgun, but the (minor) point is it is easier with a short compact weapon, that has been proven beyond debate by history, From Stalingrad in ww2 to Vietnam the chosen weapon for clearing buildings and tunnels was grenades, entrenching tools, pistols, fighting knives etc. Come forward to today both the wests Police and Military train constantly to clear buildings using flashbangs, pistols, SMGs and very short shotguns.

Trying to point a 40 inch long shotgun round a corner into a room is definitely doable, but its quicker, easier with something more compact. Anyway its what works best for you that matters.

Pity we cannot have one of these each, just the sort of think for housing clearing in the UK with or wiping out your classmates in the US with !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYqbplb_1CU

Got visions in my head of Talon with a full length Brown bess plus sword bayonet in one hand and a blunderbuss in the other !!! Smile wouldn't want to burgle him Smile

Heaven !!! Smile http://garysbunker.s3.amazonaws.com/2013...age002.png

3 November 2015, 21:22,
Well.How to put this.I'm not S.w.a.t Trained.I'm not expecting to come across a trained attacker.I wouldn't walk round the house with a shouldered weapon.
I would keep my gun close to my body.muzzle in front of me.Ready to shoulder if I have time,and space.I don't need to point the barrel 2 feet in front of me as I walk the route.I also don't need to shoulder the gun to use it effectively.
I'm talking very short range .I can shoot and I won't miss.It's very easily walked with a full length gun as far as I'm concerned. Other people may not agree and want a shorter weapon.I'm very comfortable with a full length shotgun indoors.Use what you think is best. A compact .22 just happens to not be for me.I'll take the shotgun every time.
3 November 2015, 21:27,
At least it is a choice we still have (so far) Smile Thank god.

4 November 2015, 13:57,
that Glock is interesting but I think Beretta nailed it better with the model 93r it has a burst limiter a drop down foregrip incorporated to the trigger guard , extended barrel with muzzle brake , was the improved skorpion of the 90's
4 November 2015, 14:34,
Naaa if you want a pointless room broom like them get an Ingram Mac 10 Smile

4 November 2015, 18:43,
(4 November 2015, 14:34)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa if you want a pointless room broom like them get an Ingram Mac 10 Smile

Or a pistol-crossbow Big Grin
4 November 2015, 19:05,
My pistol crossbows are relegated to second place these days but the tests I did with them were interesting, over 3 inches penetration into a solid turnip and a full 5 inches into a water melon, and 3 inches into an uncooked bacon joint.

So you know what that means doncha? YES if I get attacked by a rabid turnip, psychotic melon or a zombie bacon joint I will be the best equipped of us all Smile

1 December 2015, 12:42,
Before and now!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)