Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRE info
3 June 2016, 21:37,
MRE info
This is interesting especially if your as boring as me, because I could easy watch all these videos Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1...eHA/videos

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
4 June 2016, 03:19,
RE: MRE info
MRE info may be OK for curiosity, but most of uson this side of the pond do not stock them in any large quantity for long term storage. They are fine for a quick meal oncein a while,but not for a steady diet. For rations i my Get Home Bag I prefer the freeze dried Long Range Patrol-Cold Weather rations (LRP-CW) which provide more m
balanced nutrition and weigh less. The.advantage of MREs is that they can be eaten cold right from the pack, but a mixture of CLIF, EPIC and Atkins, Mainstay or Seven Oceans bars meet that requirement neatly from the backpacking store or West Marine ship chandlers for less money.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 June 2016, 03:42,
(4 June 2016, 03:19)CharlesHarris Wrote: MRE info may be OK for curiosity, but most of uson this side of the pond do not stock them in any large quantity for long term storage. They are fine for a quick meal oncein a while,but not for a steady diet. For rations i my Get Home Bag I prefer the freeze dried Long Range Patrol-Cold Weather rations (LRP-CW) which provide more m
balanced nutrition and weigh less. The.advantage of MREs is that they can be eaten cold right from the pack, but a mixture of CLIF, EPIC and Atkins, Mainstay or Seven Oceans bars meet that requirement neatly from the backpacking store or West Marine ship chandlers for less money.

Have you seen this stuff called Huel?

I am thinking of giving it a go, its not bad price and with a bit of research we could make our own, maybe this would be a good option for a get home bag?

https://huel.com/

4 June 2016, 04:06,
Not familiar with the term "Huel" is this a new mitary issue ration or acommercial product??

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 June 2016, 09:03,
Huel is a powdered food mix, I'll stick to pemmican and peanut butter lol

I've a few army rat packs stashed which are very good, some of the American MRE's are good subject to menu; the best dried rations I had were the Norwegian army rat packs when training in Arctic Norway, super quality but if and when they show up on the civvie market are very expensive.
ATB
Harry
4 June 2016, 13:02,
(4 June 2016, 04:06)CharlesHarris Wrote: Not familiar with the term "Huel" is this a new mitary issue ration or acommercial product??

I did link it above, https://huel.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huel

I am going to make some because there are a few ingredients I don't want in mine, and of course it would cost a lot less.

5 June 2016, 00:20,
Where water isn't to difficult to come by this heel might be a good option for my bob's might try a taster sachet.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 June 2016, 00:21,
Huel not heel grrrr
5 June 2016, 08:05,
Huel or should that be Gruel lol

I'd need to use 16 scoops of it, which is about 600gm in weight per day to provide me with the fuel I need (about 2500 calories)... which is about £7.50 per day if my maths is right. You can buy a 24 hour, 4000 calorie ration pack for a tenner... heavier yes but so much nicer to eat.

I can see the value of having some Huel as an absolute last resort food item but sorry, can't say it would be my food of choice on a trip. The harder your work/hike/climb the more important food taste becomes to the individual; you really look forward to tucking into a tasty bit of nosh.

Have you thought about dehydrating your own food? I'm quite new to this but am getting some good results now.
ATB
Harry
5 June 2016, 11:08,
I currently carry bp5 biscuits ,tinned cheese and bread in my bobs, approx 7500k/cal per bag for2.38 kg ,just looking to extend and vary it for minimum weight.