Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HF multiband antenna 2 year test
3 December 2017, 12:56, (This post was last modified: 3 December 2017, 13:02 by Lightspeed.)
HF multiband antenna 2 year test
I've just taken down my covert multi-band ( broad frequency range) HF antenna that I installed more than two years ago.

In the time its been in place its withstood temperatures from +32C down to -20C, Storms, gales and birds using it for a perch.

It was still working perfectly, and the only reason for downing it is for preventative maintenance.

The reason for posting is that this is a home made antenna, constructed out of multi-strand, clear-sheath loudspeaker wire. My expectation was that the sheathing on the wire would not be UV stable when exposed to prolonged sunlight, would crack, and let in water which would de-tuning the antenna and corrode the copper wire in the process. On close examination the plastic sheathing is intact and still very supple, with no cracks and no apparent water ingress. So, for anyone considering putting up such an antenna, speaker cable can be a valid long life, low cost choice.

BTW the antenna design is the short version of the G5RV doublet. I have the centre suspended from the branch of a tree approximately 7m above the ground and in this configuration I've had excellent results from it on most ham bands from 7Mhz to 50Mhz including CB frequencies. It also turns out to be an excellent antenna for shortwave broadcast reception, making even modest shortwave receivers capable of surprisingly good reception of broadcast stations worldwide. If you're thinking about installing a permanent HF radio antenna, this is very much worth consideration.( see http://www.instructables.com/id/G5RV-Jr-...o-Antenna/)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 December 2017, 14:25,
RE: HF multiband antenna 2 year test
Many thanks for the update LS...... i will be setting up mine now that the (ground)has ....hopefully stabilised ...final check in February.
3 December 2017, 17:11,
Outstanding! Great report!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
3 December 2017, 19:51,
(3 December 2017, 14:25)Straight Shooter Wrote: Many thanks for the update LS...... i will be setting up mine now that the (ground)has ....hopefully stabilised ...final check in February.

I should be within range of you from 1st January, and will certainly be making test NVIS transmissions around 7mhz on a frequent basis. I'll PM you to let you know when to listen out.

ATB

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580