Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old man's bike
17 December 2017, 16:04,
RE: Old man's bike
My property fronts on a body of water known on the USGS topographical survey maps as Back Creek. It is deep enough to paddle a canoe nearly year-round, in in places is shallow enough to wade, if the water is not running too fast. DNR stocks it with trout and their are also crappie and smallmouth bass in plentiful supply. A fellow could feed himself with light spin casting or fly fishing gear using small spinners and popping bugs. Unfortunately the creek is downhill from the house about 200 yards, a steep slope is which is more easily traversed down down to the creek than in climbing back to the house!

When I want to fish, truth be told I drive down to the bridge where SR45 crosses the creek at Glengary, then walk the trail upstream and wade the shallows and fish the eddies from where I can see the house up on the mountainside, then after catching supper I walk back to the car, being thankful for the modern convenience. But in the spring it is wonderful to build a small fire on one of the gravel bars, and roast a freshly caught Brookie or WV Golden trout on a stick, basted with a strip of bacon and to sip a cold lager retrieved from its rocky cache amongst the icy waters. I do believe this is why the state motto of West Virginia is "Almost Heaven."

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
17 December 2017, 16:35,
For one moment Charles ......i was there eating with you !
17 December 2017, 18:24,
One of the best meals I ever ate, one of those feasts that you remember for a lifetime, was at a historic site on the banks of Old Hickory Lake just north of Nashville, TN.

I was there to assist the Historic Site Manager with some grant proposals and at lunch time he grabbed his fishing rod and headed out the door giving me instructions to start a fire in the big communal fire ring and peel some spuds.

In less than 20 minutes he returned with a a half dozen big crappie which he scaled, cleaned and plopped into the pan as soon as the spuds and onions were done.

I rolled up some corn fritters and dropped them into the grease while the fish cooked.

Nothing on this earth is as good as panfish that were pulled from the water less than 30 minutes before you eat them!

That was nearly 20 years ago and I can still taste those crappie and potatoes fried with onions!