Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Table and chairs
18 October 2018, 20:35,
Table and chairs
Table and chairs ....a true and rudimentary necessity to mankind ...the single most important invention that's lasted through the passage of time , and pretty much the concept is unchanged ....multi tasking piece of kit from the most simple to the most complicated design ....the uses are endless....but i will just concentrate on what i love about them , apart from the first thing i made for our first home (a refractory table) and two benches ...this was the basic requirement set by wild chick ....i remember making it in the empty lounge of that first home..and the constant interruptions by wild chick....took me four bastard years to finish the thing ....we were young ! .

Being brought up (in a south wales valley villages) and no doubt anywhere else in the UK , tables and chairs played a integral and very important part of bringing up children through a well rehearsed regimented regime ,tables and chairs were used in all aspects of the teaching and learning process and even doubled up for implementing and discharging of various punishments ....love storeys , thrillers, fiction of all types, sciences ....all started in the minds of men and women .....but ended up on some table and chair for their conclusion to be realised.....the normal routine at my parents house after washing up was the standard cleanliness inspection while you stood by your chair "hands out" ...."turn over" okay boys sit ! eat ! then we talked a lot ....any problem was shared and in many ways sorted out at that table ....so as i fast forwards to the present day i see tables and chairs are still the fashion and indeed being used in many different ways ....it now appears that tables are loosing ground and chairs are becoming more prominent and more sought after.....modern folk have discovered you can eat off a plate using the arm on the chair for support of the plate and shovel the food in one handed with your free arm ...... this also enables (i don't give a shit slouching sitting position) this has now moved on considerably Ipads , xbox, fortnight ....nobody is talking over a problem ....or even talking full stop ..around a table and some chairs not even to say bye bye to the fucking idiots in Brussels ....... btw timber tables and chairs are the best ! not your glass table top sat on some metal legs shit !......

back to the thread......to the young ones.....get yourselves sorted ....buy some real chairs and a table all made from wood ...solid wood....set them up anywhere you like.....but use them as intended family meals and gatherings and a place for real conversation and problem solving ....not that long ago...all furniture were made from wood , even the low quality grade was made to look good and standard of joinery was high even if the wood was not ...principles of joinery build remained high, most people back then bought for a lifetime.

So to top it all off ....some OLD ideas will always remain GOOD ,table and chairs are one such (going backwards) or revisiting as i call it , is not a retro step ...more like a reintroduction to the past with a relevance that will NEVER fade away.........the first table and chairs ever made (wood) were made here in South Wales by a chippy called William who used to live just down the road from here.

okay i lied about the last bit.......but it could be true though
18 October 2018, 21:30,
RE: Table and chairs
Now this might sound odd, but when I was in the military and out on long patrols living endlessly in the bush, one of the two things I missed the most was a chair to sit in like a real human.

The other was ice.

We Americans are big on iced down drinks.

As for the furniture building moral fiber, what about all the folks that had tables and chairs and grew up to be dips#!ts?

I don;t think it was the furniture that did the parenting work.
18 October 2018, 22:06,
I don;t think it was the furniture that did the parenting work.

No it was not the furniture MB , just people who had the time to fathom what was important......simple stuff mostly .......time ......if you remove my props ..it will indeed still stand up.......besides i am bias , i am a carpenter.
18 October 2018, 22:12,
(18 October 2018, 20:35)Straight Shooter Wrote: Table and chairs ....a true and rudimentary necessity to mankind ...the single most important invention....the first table and chairs ever made (wood) were made here in South Wales by a chippy called William who used to live just down the road from here.

okay i lied about the last bit.......but it could be true though

Oh SS i nearly believed you as you are an ex-chippy.

We have always been believers in the kitchen table, the centre of the house, the family together at breakfast dinner and tea, after school the kids doing their homework, now there are just two of us we still eat at the kitchen table.

A wooden table and chairs of course, we were given a glass and steel set once and soon got rid of it.

ps. my dad was a chippy, we still have some furniture he made.
19 October 2018, 19:26,
I remember the gathering around the dinner table as one of the first awakenings to the hypocrisy of the adults that had been guiding my development.

We were expected, even forced, to be at the dinner table each evening at 5. No school activity was allowed to interfere, no academic club, no sports activity no community activity, that was family time and not to be disgraced or neglected.

Time to learn about each others' "day", plan for upcoming events, be browbeaten over the shortcomings we exhibited or have punishment scheduled for the things that were exposed during the mealtime conversations.

God help us when school grade reports came in!

Then one day I was offered a JOB!

The scheduled hours were 3-9 each evening.

"Take the job boy, you can eat anytime!"

Gathering around the big wooden table, or any table, is only an activity of value to men that are married to a good cook!
19 October 2018, 20:45,
We have found meal times around the kitchen table have always been a highlight in our family.

It’s where everyone can tell how the day has been, school, work, what friends have been doing, and the plans for tomorrow or the weekend.

We all enjoyed meals more and it brought the family, kids as well, closer together.
23 October 2018, 16:59,
bump to void spam.