Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Soup Monster
30 March 2020, 08:43,
The Soup Monster
I don't know how the rest of you out there are coping with the supermarket panic-buying; I refuse to go near any more large stores for the time being. But, we need decent food to keep going, and I have resorted to the time-honoured practice of soup-making. It's amazing what you can do with a few vegetables that have been languishing in the fridge. Big favourite is good old leek and potato. It's so simple to make; tastes good and costs pennies. I found a ham hock end in my freezer last week and gleefully tossed it into the stock pot with dried split peas and a chopped up leek. It lasted 2 days for the two of us.

If anyone out there has any favourite recipes please pass them on.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
30 March 2020, 09:54,
RE: The Soup Monster
Well it's probably the most common boring soup known but I love homemade lentil soup.I make it three times a week through the winter but I don't have an exact recipe,i'm blessed with very simple tastes and can have the same meal daily and not get bored.
I'll soak a cup or thereabouts of lentils .I usually soak for at least a couple of hours.Then I'll rinse them thoroughly and put them in a pot with a diced swede.Three carrots,a Parsnip and a couple of onions and two cloves of garlic.I'll also sometimes throw some smoked gammon or bacon in too if I want more protein.Throw a chicken and vegetable stock cube in and salt and pepper to taste. I sometimes put some chilli flakes in too.
What I like about it is the ease.I usually chop up enough veg to make three batches.Then put them in freezer bags. That way I can just take a bag straight out the freezer and throw it in a big stock pot with the lentils and stock.
The easiest soup to make but I love it with a couple of crusty rolls.
30 March 2020, 11:18,
Just yesterday wild child made a full stock pot ....neck of lamb, green lentils, red lentils, peal barley, butternut squash,green beans, peas, cabbage, onions, potatoes, leeks, swede, turnip, three oxo cubes , two gloves garlic, pepper and salt served for dinner with fresh baked bread ( had a job to slice the bread that fresh ) ......if anyone was in the proximity of our place around six pm last night you could be excused for thinking something of a sexual nature was being played out ! Grunting....groaning and lip slapping ......like you Mary ....things in the ladder especially veg trying to hide in the larder or back of the fridge .....absolutely shit themselves when wild thang comes a looking ! .

Guess what’s for lunch today ! Held back the rest is in the freezer ! .
7 March 2023, 13:50,
Celeriac soup .

8 oz celeriac chopped into small chunks about 15 mm cubes
1 medium potato cut into 15 mm cubes
1 onion diced
2 Garlic gloves crushed
Pint of vegetable stock
Butter 1 oz
Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
Half a cup double cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Method .

Add the butter and oil to a pan until it’s melted
Add garlic and onions into pan and sauté until soft
Add the potato /celeriac and stock to the pan season with salt boil till cooked
Remove from heat to cool
Blend the mixture
Add the cream and stir ….put back on heat …..add pepper to taste .

We like to butter some ryvita’s with this soup !

This recipe makes about three bowls . If you have never tried celeriac before , you will love this recipe .