Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urbanised Vehicles for preppers
10 April 2013, 21:50, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 21:54 by Mortblanc.)
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers
I have several friends that drive the Santa Fe. It is a nice rig but does not get but 5 mpg better than my Jeep! I get 20 mpg highway and they get about 24.

That is considering the fact that 90% of the Santa Fe models here in the states have V6 engines.

I did have a Honda CRV for 10 years. It had a 2L engine/AWD and got only 19mpg, so the Jeep would beat it on a good day.

My daily driver is a Dodge Caliber. I am not certain what the model is called in GB. It has also become my short range camping vehicle. Lots of room inside and it shares the base platform of the Jeep Compass. The difference between the Caliber and Compass is the Jeep has AWD.

I drove it on my last long range camping trip and it towed my trailer with complete camp (in the 500-700 pound range) for 950 miles and got me 25 mpg. It will fetch 30+mpg with no load on board.

I have installed a frame mounted hitch and roof rack. Lights are on the do list as is a change of rims and tires. I need some good rough tread. I am also searching for some air shocks for a bit of load capacity increase.

As discribed, I am not into really heavy modifications that draw attention. I just want my beast a little more rugged than stock and set up for my specific needs.

That Jeep stays packed with the camping gear. I could walk out the door, drive off in the Jeep and live for a month with no resupply and probably begin a good rebuild of society with what is on board.

Messages In This Thread
Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by Highlander - 8 April 2013, 18:21
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by bigpaul - 8 April 2013, 18:22
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by bigpaul - 8 April 2013, 20:14
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by Binnie - 9 April 2013, 07:18
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by bigpaul - 9 April 2013, 18:29
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by Mortblanc - 10 April 2013, 21:50
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by bigpaul - 11 April 2013, 09:10
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers - by Tonka - 15 April 2013, 23:27