Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Blog
2 June 2013, 20:28,
RE: New Blog
@ Highlander - You've pretty much nailed what I'm intending to do. I'm planning on thinning around 10% of the Noble crop and the intention is, absolutely, to replant with native broadleaves. There are some natural glades, from where some of the Nobles failed to thrive. They tend to be in low spots, so I think it may be due to wet ground. I might put Alder there. They like wet conditions. For the camping, I'm thinking of a bushcraft / eco-camping offer, with just one site initially. Pre-erected canvas bell-tent(s) for 4-6 people in total, with a private covered dining area and composting loo. It would appeal to those who want to try living off-grid, might be interested in the woodland, but don't want to rough it too much! People seem to be prepared to pay large amounts of money for this kind of thing.

@Bigpaul; you have my sympathies. We first started looking down south, then realised how much more we could get for the money in Scotland. You're right; going bigger definitely gives you better value per acre, although it will obviously cost more overall.

@Obongo; yes, we're near the Black Isle, but not on it. The woodland is fairly exposed to Lossiemouth (and I think you're probably thinking of Kinloss), but our house is a few miles further inland (abt 25 miles from Lossie as the heat-flash flies) and is shielded by an escarpment. The property is 200 years old, built with 2 ft thick walls, and one end is partly below street level, so I do have plans to create a fall-out refuge in there if necessary. We should be OK as far as heat flash and blast damage are concerned, unless something drops off-target in our direction. But you can't be totally risk-free. It's nuclear war we're talking about!

Thanks for all your comments guys.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
New Blog - by Tarrel - 1 June 2013, 22:55
RE: New Blog - by ObongoPox - 2 June 2013, 13:53
RE: New Blog - by Highlander - 2 June 2013, 19:24
RE: New Blog - by bigpaul - 2 June 2013, 19:30
RE: New Blog - by Tarrel - 2 June 2013, 20:28